ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Jumper to avoid being stranded with a failed Primary Fuel Pump (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25149)

PhillipsLT5 05-27-2015 02:49 PM

Re: Jumper to avoid being stranded with a failed Primary Fuel Pump

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON (Post 226515)
Ive talked to my local electrical guy about making these. We figure $30 shipped Lower 48. I have asked him about making a run of 20 if we have enough interest. Once we have ten signed up I will tell him to start making them and start ordering the connectors and wire and post up the prototype

1. GOLDCYLON
2. PHILLIPSLT5 (Assumed)

I am in, no need to ship, just a cold 1

GOLDCYLON 05-27-2015 06:58 PM

Ok any others out there ?

geezer 05-27-2015 07:24 PM

I'm in-- with additional cost to ship to Canada.

ZR1North 05-27-2015 07:39 PM

I am in as well.

GSJoe 05-27-2015 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON (Post 226531)

Joe Rose (GS Joe)...I'll need two, one for me and one for my godson, Clint Morgan. Where and when do I send money?

chriskinzel 05-27-2015 08:16 PM

I'm in. Never needed one before, hope to never use the one. But...

Dynomite 05-28-2015 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON (Post 226515)
Ive talked to my local electrical guy about making these. We figure $30 shipped Lower 48. I have asked him about making a run of 20 if we have enough interest. Once we have ten signed up I will tell him to start making them and start ordering the connectors and wire and post up the prototype

1. GOLDCYLON
2. PHILLIPSLT5 (Assumed)

How long is the jumper you are making and I assume it plugs right in to each each end of the disconnected existing plug shown below?

What is the shortest jumper you can make? It would appear that the shortest jumper would be with two new connectors back to back with just enough room to cross wires green and gray (white).

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...d99bb9e88b.jpg

cvette98pacecar 05-28-2015 09:08 AM

Count me in for 2.

WVZR-1 05-28-2015 09:58 AM

I would think you would want sufficient length between connectors to maybe pass the four wires through a "heat-shrink" tube when constructing and then shrinking to keep the bundle secure. Wouldn't need to be long but I believe needs to have some length to avoid struggling when connecting.

I'd think Jim has first-hand knowledge of a practical length and I'd certainly inquire/enlist his help before constructing.

Cliff - did you check the "clocking" of the black and green/white on yours?

Dynomite 05-28-2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 226561)
I would think you would want sufficient length between connectors to maybe pass the four wires through a "heat-shrink" tube when constructing and then shrinking to keep the bundle secure. Wouldn't need to be long but I believe needs to have some length to avoid struggling when connecting.

I'd think Jim has first-hand knowledge of a practical length and I'd certainly inquire/enlist his help before constructing.

Cliff - did you check the "clocking" of the black and green/white on yours?

Good suggestions and what I was thinking also in terms of installation without having too long a jumper to try and stuff back into position under the rubber boot :handshak:

I am going with what Jim described as follows.......and I am assuming 90's and 91's are identical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by QB93Z (Post 226478)

A - Black - DC Ground
B - Purple - Fuel gauge signal
C - Gray - Fuel Pump
D - Green/white - Fuel Pump
Jim

Black is Black,
Purple I call Red,
Gray I call White,
Green/white I call Green.
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...d99bb9e88b.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by QB93Z (Post 226393)
Background: If number 1 fuel pump fails, the LT5 will start properly but then die after a short period of time. When the engine is cold, the period may be almost a minute. When the engine is at operating temperature the engine will die immediately after starting.

This happens because the ECM energizes BOTH fuel pumps on engine start. So the Secondary Fuel Pump supplies fuel to the injectors while the primary pump does nothing. Once the engine is operating properly, the ECM turns off the Secondary Fuel Pump and the car stalls.

Why does the ECM have to energize BOTH fuel pumps on starting?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON (Post 226531)

Four Jumpers for Dynomite.......;)