ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 General Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Poll: Who has ever hit the rev limiter? (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1250)

Patton 02-16-2006 08:54 PM

Re: Poll: Who has ever hit the rev limiter?

Unless your torque and Hp band has changed extensively from stock, you are needlessly damaging your engine by hitting it ESPECIALLY ON EVERY GEAR SHIFT! If your engine is stock, than you aren’t even getting the benefit of better track times, you are going SLOWER.
You know now that I think of it, even if your engine IS modded hitting the limiter cuts fuel and sputters the engine, taking seconds off of your end time. My advice would be to shift earlier than the limiter, there just is absolutely no benefit, while creating a healthy chance for a potentially catastrophic failure..... Why?? :icon_scra

But I must admit, I like your attitude much better than those who keep garage queens... Unless you are just filthy rich and have a collection of course.... But I would still drive the nuts out of a different one each day.

Oh ya and limiter in 5th gear, I couldnt bang it and I was on a very very very long straight part of I-5 in central CA. just had it WOT for some time, got up to about 182 or so, its scary to look away from the road for more than a nano second. And it took an eternity (probably just 15 seconds or so) to climb even one MPH. So Im not sure you can really hit that sucker with a stock motor. I wonder what the top speed of 5th gear is mathmatically (i.e. in a drag less setting). Anybody?

Aurora40 02-16-2006 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton
Oh ya and limiter in 5th gear, I couldnt bang it and I was on a very very very long straight part of I-5 in central CA. just had it WOT for some time, got up to about 182 or so, its scary to look away from the road for more than a nano second. And it took an eternity (probably just 15 seconds or so) to climb even one MPH. So Im not sure you can really hit that sucker with a stock motor. I wonder what the top speed of 5th gear is mathmatically (i.e. in a drag less setting). Anybody?

Around 205mph.

Patton 02-17-2006 03:20 PM

But of course even before you hit 205mph and the limiter, your alternator will be generating the needed 1.21 gigawatts and then who knows where you'll end up,... or when you'll end up.

zvetteman 02-17-2006 09:59 PM

Yep hit while drag racing. Running GSC's and spinning the tires in third gear. If it would hook up I would probably break something!

WB9MCW 02-19-2006 09:24 PM

never hit mine yet but i think my chip has it at 7400 now..I shift at 7000 and it gets to abt 7200 buy the time im done! Works for me! Im am at the point now I can tell the rpm by ear. I was going to get a light but my ear can now tell me when to shift. Took a while on the lt5 compaired to other engines to get a tuned ear for the rpms cause she pulls so hard for so long but afer a couple of years now and some practice I have a handle on it!!! I dump the clutch at 3k for launch and it spins the tires just a bit all the way through first, squaks into second and chirps into third....gotta luv my new chip and alum. flywheel and race clutch, b4 the best was a chirp into second only!!! Now she snorts they way we like it! I dont dump it too often (only to show off to friends mostly) since we all know abt the weak link of the u joints!!! and if u dont have driveshaft loops installed well.... i do have to say the gear rattle is quite noisy and it took a while to get used to it(actually u never really do) and it is a bit funny when people first hear it(they think ur tranny is broken) but once u hammer it they soon figure that it must be ok and healthy!!! lol

gbrtng 02-08-2007 11:02 AM

TOMTOM72:

With a stock chip in my 91 the shift light will light in any gear except
sixth if you hold speed for a while. Cruising 70 mph in 5th for a few
minutes at constant throttle it comes on. Change throttle position
and it goes out. GM nanny wants to remind you not to waste gas
and upshift.

I never watch the light when I'm hammering it so I don't know
whether it goes on at the rev limit - too many other things to
pay attention to !

tomtom72 02-09-2007 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbrtng
TOMTOM72:

With a stock chip in my 91 the shift light will light in any gear except
sixth if you hold speed for a while. Cruising 70 mph in 5th for a few
minutes at constant throttle it comes on. Change throttle position
and it goes out. GM nanny wants to remind you not to waste gas
and upshift.

I never watch the light when I'm hammering it so I don't know
whether it goes on at the rev limit - too many other things to
pay attention to !

Now I just learned why I get such bad gas milage! I'm not paying attention to the General's advice about how to drive my Z! No chit, I didn't ever notice it telling me how to save gas! Oh well no one ever said I was the sharpest knife in the rack!

One thing though.........my secondaries should be really clean! I guess ya can't have everything, hugh?:mrgreen:
:cheers:
Tom

HADI-ZR1 02-11-2007 10:09 PM

my shift light is OFF :D

GrayZ 02-12-2007 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HADI-ZR1
my shift light is OFF :D

not the only light off at your house :mrgreen:

4DSZR1 02-12-2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITLGO2
not the only light off at your house :mrgreen:

:sign10: :sign10: