ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 General Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Value of ZR-1 (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27753)

Billy Mild 04-22-2017 03:24 PM

Value of ZR-1

What is the value of a ZR-1 with the following stats?

1991 Steel blue/blue interior
-12 year old Goodyear tires
-Injectors may or may not have been replaced this current owner doesn't know
-Was a Top Flight NCRS car back in 2006
-83,000 miles on it
-All ZR-1 items except the pizza box
-Painted top only
-Borla Exhaust
-4.10 Gears
-DRM chip
-Original Window Sticker
-5 owner car

edram454 04-22-2017 05:52 PM

Re: Value of ZR-1

this is always a tough subject. the car I sold was much, much better than this and all it fetched was 16.5k. It was twice the car easy. just had a new engine refinish by aaron scott right before he headed for the hills. fidanza, etc... I would not give more than 13k for this. sorry.:(

gmonsen 04-22-2017 08:33 PM

Pricing is a funny thing. The prices are way down. The answer is that no one should sell who absolutely doesn't have to sell. If no one or very few people sold at the current levels, prices would go up, because supply would go down. The willingness of people to accept prices that are way below the inherent value of the cars keeps the prices down.

conesare2seconds 04-22-2017 11:12 PM

I'll say 15-17 without seeing it. If it is still close to top flight condition it could push to 19 or so. To break above 20 in the current market would call for lower miles than this example, I think. Top flight and color are working in its favor, mods are working against it. This is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. :)

Young1 04-23-2017 12:56 AM

15k for because of 5 owners. But the color and interior are rare. You own it 3 - 4 years and it will have 100k miles too. Big thing for me at the mileage is proof when the clutch was changed. At that many miles the injectors have to have been changed.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Billy Mild 04-23-2017 10:04 AM

I bought my current 1991 for $10,500 3 years ago. It had 75,000 miles on it, and needed some work. I had to do injectors and fix a ton of vacuum leaks. I re did the whole brake system on my car too.

I was thinking top dollar for this would be $13,000 just due to miles and not knowing if injectors had been done or not. Also it needs new tires.

DRM500RUBYZR-1 04-23-2017 10:58 AM

$10,000 to $25,000

Depends on:

1- how bad a buyer wants THAT ONE!

2- how desperate the seller is to have it gone NOW.

I have personally bought and sold them in the low and mid $30's.

I have seen documented sales here on the forum in the low teens, and every single number in between those two extremes.

Good luck!
Buy the best that fits within your budget. Paying up now for one that has had all of the proper maintenance already done will almost always end up being less expensive in the long run, than buying a neglected one for cheap and having to do tons of work to it.
Stretch on the the buy will make you much happier as you will likely have less problems!
:cheers:
Marty

Vette73 04-23-2017 11:12 AM

Since I walk around with an I-pad at work all day I often check values of these cars on a regular basis....It seems that a lot of people are concerned over the value of the C-4 ZR-1 now..

My question is, and I guess I can google it but, was the cost of the second generation C-6 ZR-1,118,000 dollars?

Reason I say this is because I have seen what seems like nice examples going for mid 50s.....I mean that's a drop of over 50%.......It is what it is when it comes to value...Some cars get lucky Ex:Trans -Am,air cooled porches,Hemis, whatever...

In my opinion I can't see the C-4 ZR-1 going down that much more in value as long as the remaining ones are well maintained...

gmonsen 04-23-2017 11:19 AM

Again... We listen to ourselves too much. If sellers believe all they can get is, say, $15,000, then that's what they ask and maybe they take a bit less even. If sellers would ask $30,000 and not sell if they couldn't get $28,000, the market would strengthen. People who buy nice ZR1's now for under $20,000 will be seen to have stolen the car in a few years. Unless you have to sell -- Unless you MUST SELL NOW -- you should be asking $25,000+ for a decent car and not sell unless you get it.

ssrszz4 04-23-2017 11:43 AM

Unfortunately that's not how things work.

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

gmonsen 04-23-2017 11:57 AM

Actually, it may be the way things work. When prices get as low as they are now, it makes no sense for anyone to sell unless they are desperate for money. I think we've hit the point where most will hold off selling unless they have to sell. There are not that many decent ZR1's around and so prices will begin to go up. This is exactly what will happen unless I and so many others are wrong and the relatively rare ZR1's are really not very good cars. 10 years ago you could buy an E30 M3 in great shape for $15,000. They are now $50-150,000 depending on condition. 5 years ago you could buy a Ferrari Testarossa for $50,000. Today, the bottom prices are $100,000. How do you think prices go down so far and then go up? It ain't magic. It's supply and demand.

KILLSHOTS 04-23-2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmonsen (Post 260912)
Again... We listen to ourselves too much. If sellers believe all they can get is, say, $15,000, then that's what they ask and maybe they take a bit less even. If sellers would ask $30,000 and not sell if they couldn't get $28,000, the market would strengthen. People who buy nice ZR1's now for under $20,000 will be seen to have stolen the car in a few years. Unless you have to sell -- Unless you MUST SELL NOW -- you should be asking $25,000+ for a decent car and not sell unless you get it.

Yep, that's it. People aren't asking enough for ZR-1s. Quick, everybody, raise your price by 10K and watch them fly off the shelves.

Vette73 04-23-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS (Post 260915)
Yep, that's it. People aren't asking enough for ZR-1s. Quick, everybody, raise your price by 10K and watch them fly off the shelves.

LMAO.....I actually did when I read your response ...I understand both points though...As the C-4 Z gets into the antique stage (25 years or older) you may start seeing an uptick in pricing....

Thing is,and some may argue, the C-4 generation is the least liked by most..If you look at a C-4 Z and a standard C-4 from the side, the only thing that is noticeable is the placement of the rear brake light and the rockers....Except from the back and the wide rear tires they are identical looking...

edram454 04-23-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmonsen (Post 260914)
Actually, it may be the way things work. When prices get as low as they are now, it makes no sense for anyone to sell unless they are desperate for money. I think we've hit the point where most will hold off selling unless they have to sell. There are not that many decent ZR1's around and so prices will begin to go up. This is exactly what will happen unless I and so many others are wrong and the relatively rare ZR1's are really not very good cars. 10 years ago you could buy an E30 M3 in great shape for $15,000. They are now $50-150,000 depending on condition. 5 years ago you could buy a Ferrari Testarossa for $50,000. Today, the bottom prices are $100,000. How do you think prices go down so far and then go up? It ain't magic. It's supply and demand.

I beg to differ. I sold mine for all it would bring at the current time. did I have to sell? no. Was I no longer happy with my circumstances as far as maintenance shops being so far away and had to deal with a leaky sensor left by aaron after it came from his shop? No. I was unhappy with my circumstances in owning this car where I live in South Florida. I took all it would bring at 16.5. I did not have a storage place for it so i can have it sit until the market goes up, or IF the market goes up on these cars. I feel I dont have time to wait for possible up trends on these or any car. My car had 47k miles and very expensive mods and a imron paint job 10k and new everything etc... I decided to not wait for the possibility that prices go up and unloaded the car for the most it would bring. I bought another corvette better suited for my circumstances and licked my wounds. Your car is only worth what another person will pay for it. I know of a few zr-1s for sale here by forum members that I would be all over them if I had a reputable mechanic closer than 24 hours away. I have dreams of owning Randy Ransoms beautiful red zr1 which he is still waiting to sell. He will not lower his price and if you saw pics of that beast you would understand why. I paid for my z06 what he wants for his zr1 which is heavily modded and impeccable. My z06 was on the market for 2 days and it was gone.

A variety of reasons are in play in this case because of future repairs, rarity of parts being the most convincing. I hope one day they do go up but I dont see it in the foreseeable future. I am 58 and did not want to spend years selling my car. If I were younger maybe but not now. I hope you all get what you want and some of you might decide to sell even if you dont need the money, you might need the space or more importantly, you may not want to wait.

Thank You.

DRM500RUBYZR-1 04-23-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssrszz4 (Post 260913)
Unfortunately that's not how things work.

It is for smart sellers and buyers.

If you want a really good car now, you have to pay up.

Unfortunately, there are those that think if one car sells for $10,000.00, then none could be worth considerably more.
That is simply wrong.
Low mile cars that have been properly maintained are getting harder an harder to find, and the premium for them continues to be strong and getting stronger.

The cars that were used like a toaster, continue to be inexpensive to buy, yet require added cost to bring them back as much as possible, or as much as the budget will allow.

As the other poster noted, C-6 ZR-1s can easily be found in the 50's with reasonable miles, and yes that is 50% or more below their cost new.

That is the way it works for most all higher end cars. Heavy depreciation in the early years; a gradual slowdown; a bottom reached; then a slow climb back.
C-4's have bottomed. C-5's 6's and 7's still falling.
C-1's, 2's and yes even the rubber bumper 3's all climbing.

I also very much agree with a statement above that said those who score the real nice cars now in the high teens to low 20's, will look like they stole them a few years from now.

Buy, upgrade, drive and enjoy!

Marty

AnthonyGS 04-23-2017 01:55 PM

Actually in a market this small it could easily work if owners communicated better. My ZR-1 has 67k on it and I wouldn't take anything less than 20k for it. I'd rather drive it into the ground myself than give it away. I don't know why people are giving these cars away they just are.

ssrszz4 04-23-2017 02:27 PM

Sometimes people inherit them and just want to unload them because they have no interest.

gmonsen 04-23-2017 02:42 PM

Sometimes the forums prove the adage that you shouldn't cast pearls before swine...

Perhaps the value of ZR1's is sinking like a stone. If so, I suggest selling for $10,000 while these pieces of junk can still get those prices. After all these 4 cam powered cars are really just bastard C4's. Maybe they'll only be worth $5,000 in a few months?

lfalzarano 04-23-2017 04:41 PM

Glad you're happy with your car... ZR-1's are for driving excitement and enjoyment and not an investment.

henryr 04-23-2017 04:45 PM

be thankful the haven't gone crazy in value...

i have had a car i had to sell as it was too expensive (for me) to drive like i wanted.... have friends that have nice cars that sit for the same reasons

gmonsen 04-23-2017 05:33 PM

Agree...

And, if I didn't already own one, I'd certainly buy one now.

JFFerner 04-23-2017 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmonsen (Post 260924)
Sometimes the forums prove the adage that you shouldn't cast pearls before swine...

Perhaps the value of ZR1's is sinking like a stone. If so, I suggest selling for $10,000 while these pieces of junk can still get those prices. After all these 4 cam powered cars are really just bastard C4's. Maybe they'll only be worth $5,000 in a few months?

Interesting use, the term "Bastard". Is this from first hand knowledge...experience?

gmonsen 04-23-2017 06:22 PM

You mean interesting use "of" the term bastard? I kind of gather you may be trying to insult me, but your sentence construction and conceptual framework is so screwed up, it's difficult for people to understand your insult easily. You might better have said, "do you say it's a bastard, because you yourself are one and that's why you can recognize another?" People shouldn't have to work so hard to see how witty you are. (If you are not trying to insult me, then your comment is far too obtuse...)

BigJohn 04-23-2017 07:21 PM

Well I would not check Kelly Blue Book!
You may get your answer.

lfalzarano 04-24-2017 08:45 AM

Shame you got rid of it. These cars need to be driven and when they sit in a garage for a long time, seals and parts rot out. A lightly driven car is more enjoyable to have and drive, because anything that faded over the years has been addressed. Whereas, a super low mileage ZR-1 will have all kinds of age issues when driven; new leaks, blown injectors, fluids that expired etc.

Get another one, and enjoy the fun in driving a ZR-1. It is priceless!

32valvesftw 04-24-2017 07:59 PM

While the ZR-1 is a rare Vette, in many peoples eyes these are just a C4. So pricing wise we caught up in the undervaluation of the C4 in general

gmonsen 04-25-2017 05:37 PM

Eventually, various cognoscenti will see its value. It remains a remarkable outlier among all Corvettes. I described it earlier in facetious terms as a bastard, but in many ways it is a bastard child of the un-American pairing of Chevrolet and Lotus. The Corvette motor had always been a push rod and not some fancy, expensive, sophisticated European dual overhead cam motor. I wouldn't doubt that the LT4 pushing out 300 hp and roughly equaling the performance of a 1990 ZR1 was the result of Chevy engineers saying we can push the boundaries of the push rod even further and don't need no European technology. It's "un-American". It's expensive. Eventually, all this is going to enhance the desirability of the ZR1 imho.

Livin' in the 80's 04-26-2017 08:41 AM

Look at this. Cheap as a daily driver.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/w...084083230.html

lfalzarano 04-26-2017 10:23 AM

Even with the miles on it, some day it will be valuable since it is mostly original. It will find a new owner that will take care of it.

gmonsen 04-27-2017 11:22 AM

With reasonably nice or even really nice ZR1's going for $10-15,000 it almost makes sense to buy a second one... :)

TealZR1 04-27-2017 05:54 PM

I've had my ZR1 for 9 months now and appreciate the performance, rarity and how the LT5 really attracts attention at car shows. Hear this many times "I've heard of this car but never have seen one in person"

The ZR1 reminds me of another super car I owned back in 95 - An 89 Porsche 928s. Another super car of it's time. The older gentleman that I bought the car gave me some thoughtful advice "Son, you are buying a $75,000 supercar for $12,500 now but your repairs will be your monthly payments." The next month the starter went out and cost me $450 at that time alot! Expensive parts and repairs, especially if you can't do them all by yourself. Not sure if this is one of the reasons of the dropping prices?

I paid $16,500 while the previous owner (a ZR1 Registry Founding Member) started by asking $24,000.

Just enjoy the experience!

:USFlag:

Livin' in the 80's 04-27-2017 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TealZR1 (Post 261149)
I've had my ZR1 for 9 months now and appreciate the performance, rarity and how the LT5 really attracts attention at car shows. Hear this many times "I've heard of this car but never have seen one in person"

The ZR1 reminds me of another super car I owned back in 95 - An 89 Porsche 928s. Another super car of it's time. The older gentleman that I bought the car gave me some thoughtful advice "Son, you are buying a $75,000 supercar for $12,500 now but your repairs will be your monthly payments." The next month the starter went out and cost me $450 at that time alot! Expensive parts and repairs, especially if you can't do them all by yourself. Not sure if this is one of the reasons of the dropping prices?

I paid $16,500 while the previous owner (a ZR1 Registry Founding Member) started by asking $24,000.

Just enjoy the experience!

:USFlag:

I certainly didn't steal mine but I don't care. Comparable cars of the day are 100k now. It is fun raw power of the day. I am sure like the 70's vettes, this will go up in value. It is lumped in the c4 sea of average cars. I remember the dealers were selling this car for 100k plus and as a young dumb kid with no money, I drooled to own one. Here I buy one with 23k miles that is almost new for a fraction. I am sure I won't be getting rid of it any time soon and the values will only go up. I don't even give a crap because I bought it to have fun and have good memories using it. That's why we are all here-to contribute to society and have some fun along the way.

Z51JEFF 04-27-2017 08:37 PM

People have been talking about values for years,who cares but I do know this much,ZR-1s seem to be getting a lot of attention lately. Is this the calm before He storm?

TealZR1 04-27-2017 09:08 PM

Let's see what happens when Chevrolet releases the 2018 ZR1 with the NEW LT5 powerplant. The LT5 is the brand that could be a game changer to increase value. Of course it will never look as good...

http://www.lsxmag.com/news/will-the-...ne-750-hp-lt5/

Mystic ZR-1 04-27-2017 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TealZR1 (Post 261156)
Let's see what happens when Chevrolet releases the 2018 ZR1 with the NEW LT5 powerplant. The LT5 is the brand that could be a game changer to increase value. Of course it will never look as good...

That's what we thought when the ZR1 came out.
The "game" never changed....

DRM500RUBYZR-1 04-27-2017 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmonsen (Post 261135)
With reasonably nice or even really nice ZR1's going for $10-15,000 it almost makes sense to buy a second one... :)

or 3rd or 4th..............
Marty

Livin' in the 80's 04-27-2017 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 (Post 261158)
That's what we thought when the ZR1 came out.
The "game" never changed....

At this point we all didn't buy this car to make millions. I bought it to have fun with my family. If I put on 10k miles and have a great time for 10 years and don't make a dime, I will be happy. If it goes through the roof in value, I will be ecstatic. Might have to buy two of them.

Livin' in the 80's 04-27-2017 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livin' in the 80's (Post 261162)
At this point we all didn't buy this car to make millions. I bought it to have fun with my family. If I put on 10k miles and have a great time for 10 years and don't make a dime, I will be happy. If it goes through the roof in value, I will be ecstatic. Might have to buy two of them.

Here is another deal on ebay. WOW

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332193852726?ul_noapp=true

randy ransome 04-28-2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livin' in the 80's (Post 261163)
Here is another deal on ebay. WOW

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332193852726?ul_noapp=true

Here's a deal right hear on this forum.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Market...-25000-MS.aspx

:proud: