ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 General Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Raptor twin turbo initial final tuning #'s (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30400)

rbidwell 04-01-2019 05:27 PM

Raptor twin turbo initial final tuning #'s

Corey Henderson is in the final phase of tuning on my Raptor twin turbo system. First pulls were around 615 to 620 rwhp. Will post final numbers when available. Those folks going to the South Texas barbecue are welcome to check it out.

indy91zr1 04-01-2019 08:10 PM

Re: Raptor twin turbo initial final tuning #'s

Those are some nice numbers! If you don"t mind me asking how much is just the turbo kit itself? I saw the regular lt1/4 kit was 5500-6500. Is it around the same price or is it more since we have a z? If you would rather keep to yourself I fully understand also. Looks like it sure will be a really fun car.

rbidwell 04-01-2019 09:40 PM

Since this is a prototype, I'm not sure what price will be from Raptor. I had my engine done and some other work that increased the cost. If I understand correctly, the system will be sold as a do it yourself kit.

Ccmano 04-01-2019 09:49 PM

Did Cory take over the Raptor project from Ron Hanselman? If I’m not mistaken Ron and Jerry (of Jerry’s Gaskets) started that company but then it disappeared. Just curious what if it’s the same thing.
H
:cheers:

rbidwell 04-01-2019 09:53 PM

It is still Jerry's Gaskets product. Ron Hanselman worked with project. Corey did alot of design work.

Ccmano 04-01-2019 10:08 PM

Cool, so will they be selling these? Is the website still good? The site shows last update 11/2017...
http://www.raptorllc.net
H

rbidwell 04-01-2019 10:39 PM

I think Corey fabricated a few systems as he built mine. You would need to contact Jerry's Gaskets to find out when they will be available. I'm not sure Corey has the installation manual finished.

XfireZ51 04-02-2019 12:26 PM

What's the displacement and compression ratio?

RHanselman 04-02-2019 01:13 PM

Raptor is all mine now.

Jerry and I were partners some time ago however Jerry wanted to concentrate on Jerry's Gaskets and then sold me his share. He was really the one that enable the Raptor Turbo System to come to fruition...

Corey has all my systems to include Twin and Single Turbo variations. The Twin for designed for the LT5 and the Single for the LT1. I do believe that the Single will fit the LT5 but we've never fit one... They are all still mine.

And yes I've been silent for sometime as it was taking much longer to get Ron's car finished than Corey planned. He did make some adjustments to the design to make it fit more easily and subsequently changed the jigs.

If someone would like a system please PM me and we can discuss. Also, since I've been inactive with the systems so long, If anyone wants to purchase the entire inventory please PM me as well.

Cheers,
Ron H

rbidwell 04-02-2019 01:17 PM

364+ or- ci. 9:1 compression. Engine was put together by Henderson Performance with Lozano Brothers doing the machining. Corey put some larger injectors is because the engine was running lean at 7000 rpm. I think he said he also put in a different fuel pump to make there was enough fuel volume.

rbidwell 04-02-2019 01:19 PM

Thanks for the post Ron. Are you still making the ECM from Mega-squirt available?

RHanselman 04-02-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbidwell (Post 291790)
Thanks for the post Ron. Are you still making the ECM from Mega-squirt available?

No I'm not.

I believe I saw were Jerry was developing an ignitions system which probably has the same capes as the Mega??

Ccmano 04-02-2019 08:30 PM

Ron good to hear from you. Looks like your in TX now, did you retire there? Still playing with the ZR-1’s or have you moved on?
All the best
Hans

rbidwell 04-02-2019 08:36 PM

I am just east of Denver, CO. My ZR1 is at Henderson Performance at New Braunfels, TX just finishing up a twin turbo project.

Tyler Townsley 04-02-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbidwell (Post 291806)
I am just east of Denver, CO. My ZR1 is at Henderson Performance at New Braunfels, TX just finishing up a twin turbo project.

Was there last weekend, how far east of Denver? If you get a chance look up Rod Dewild he is doing some cutting edge engine stuff.

Tyler

Ccmano 04-02-2019 08:50 PM

Looks like we have two Ron’s here Bidwell and Hanselman, I was addressing my comment to Hanselman. I used to live near Denver, Castle Rock to be exact, great place!
H

rbidwell 04-02-2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley (Post 291808)
Was there last weekend, how far east of Denver? If you get a chance look up Rod Dewild he is doing some cutting edge engine stuff.

Tyler

I live in a little town on I70 called Limon. Is DeWild still working on LT5's? I know he did a automatic conversion for his Dad a few years ago.

RHanselman 04-06-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ccmano (Post 291803)
Ron good to hear from you. Looks like your in TX now, did you retire there? Still playing with the ZR-1’s or have you moved on?
All the best
Hans

Hey Hans!

I retired from Lockheed Martin last June. It only took a few months for me to decide to go back to work. I moved to Alamogordo NM for 7 months teaching guys to fly the F-16 again. My Mrs didn't like the area so she moved back to our house in Fort Worth. I followed after finding a jog at the local Reserve F-16 squadron running the Simulator's. There's 4 cockpits networked together. Pretty nice system and a real fun job...

I still have two Z's. The 93' Ruby from Hawaii that I'm going to convert to a convertible as soon as Brett has time to get to it (busy guy...) And then I have the 91 Twin Turbo still. I finally put them on a "stacker" in the garage under cover. I pull them out once a month and run them to temp and drive them around the block... I also added a 1961 all original Vette to the stable as well. Drives like crap but I have a lot of fun with it. Drive her to work once a week if the weather permits... I plan to drive the Ruby more once it's converted.

Cheers from Fort Worth... Hope all is well with you...

rbidwell 05-02-2019 06:40 PM

Corey Henderson just let me know the Raptor twin turbo will have its final testing tomorrow then will be ready for delivery. He settled for right at 600 rwhp after hitting 650. Dropped it back to preserve the engine. He was not sure about torque , but thought about 580.
Car is now officially for sale. $22,500.

My daughter just told I can't sell the car, therefore the car is not for sale at this time.

32valvZ 05-02-2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbidwell (Post 291812)
I live in a little town on I70 called Limon. Is DeWild still working on LT5's? I know he did a automatic conversion for his Dad a few years ago.

AKA Western Kansas :-D

Demps 05-03-2019 06:05 AM

That sounds like an interesting car. Glad it’s finished.
Ted

gbrtng 05-03-2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbidwell (Post 293222)
Corey Henderson just let me know the Raptor twin turbo will have its final testing tomorrow then will be ready for delivery. He settled for right at 600 rwhp after hitting 650. Dropped it back to preserve the engine. He was not sure about torque , but thought about 580.

My daughter just told I can't sell the car, therefore the car is not for sale at this time.

Ron: check your PMs

Vette73 05-04-2019 02:24 PM

Throw some photos up if you can...Engine compartment especially....Sounds like a fun car to drive w 600 WHP....

If you do decide to sell im guessing $22,500 looks like a great deal...

rbidwell 05-04-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vette73 (Post 293276)
Throw some photos up if you can...Engine compartment especially....Sounds like a fun car to drive w 600 WHP....

If you do decide to sell im guessing $22,500 looks like a great deal...

I haven't seen the finished product yet. Not much to see in the engine compartment. The turbos are in the rear wheel wells, if I understand what Corey told me. Once I get the car in my possession I will post photos.

rkreigh 05-10-2019 06:16 AM

awesome. I'm interested in the mega squirt and turbo zr-1 projects as you all know. I'm wanting to do a different coil on plug implementation of the megasquirt 3 pro, and v band some stock manifolds to move turbos up front like LPE did, and design a new system.

Running e85 on the z and designing for it will open up some new opportunities and the megasquirt can do flex fuel

I also have a Haltech S2000 platinum that's a bit more sophisticated with 8 channel egt that could be used the same way. I believe in splicing into the wiring and turning off the stock engine management would retain the stock dash functions and hopefully be less onerous

with the price of the DIS module going crazy, I want to do this soon !!

a turbo z with a closed deck engine and mls hg would be a thing of joy

if your engine is at 9 to 1 compression, you have lots of room to boost it!!

spork2367 05-10-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkreigh (Post 293517)
with the price of the DIS module going crazy, I want to do this soon !!

Brett just sold one for 599. There are more of them available now than have been for several years, and at a lower price as well.

XfireZ51 05-10-2019 09:19 AM

Hey Ron. i’ll be in Denver next week starting the 16th. Any chance u’ll have the TT by then. Love to have a ride.

rbidwell 05-10-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XfireZ51 (Post 293526)
Hey Ron. i’ll be in Denver next week starting the 16th. Any chance u’ll have the TT by then. Love to have a ride.

Corey said it would be at least two weeks from yesterday, so no it does look like it. Otherwise I would been happy to show you the car.

indy91zr1 05-13-2019 10:53 AM

Definitely need some pics of this setup. I am kinda intrigued.

cadillac531 05-21-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHanselman (Post 291940)
Hey Hans!

I retired from Lockheed Martin last June. It only took a few months for me to decide to go back to work. I moved to Alamogordo NM for 7 months teaching guys to fly the F-16 again. My Mrs didn't like the area so she moved back to our house in Fort Worth. I followed after finding a jog at the local Reserve F-16 squadron running the Simulator's. There's 4 cockpits networked together. Pretty nice system and a real fun job...

I still have two Z's. The 93' Ruby from Hawaii that I'm going to convert to a convertible as soon as Brett has time to get to it (busy guy...) And then I have the 91 Twin Turbo still. I finally put them on a "stacker" in the garage under cover. I pull them out once a month and run them to temp and drive them around the block... I also added a 1961 all original Vette to the stable as well. Drives like crap but I have a lot of fun with it. Drive her to work once a week if the weather permits... I plan to drive the Ruby more once it's converted.

Cheers from Fort Worth... Hope all is well with you...

HA! Small world, Ron. We just moved to Weatherford, 20 minutes away from Fort Worth. Glad to hear you're doing well.

rbidwell 07-29-2019 01:36 PM

My twin turbo car is finaly home. Made the 900 mile trip from Texas to Colorado with no issues. Well, except the ac wasn't working which made it a less than desirable trip. It makes a beautiful noise. Very throaty. Will get some pictures and video posted in the next few days.

RHanselman 07-29-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillac531 (Post 293991)
HA! Small world, Ron. We just moved to Weatherford, 20 minutes away from Fort Worth. Glad to hear you're doing well.

Well we'll have to get together!

Cheers,
Ron
702-308-0475

A26B 07-29-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbidwell (Post 296704)
My twin turbo car is finaly home. Made the 900 mile trip from Texas to Colorado with no issues. Well, except the ac wasn't working which made it a less than desirable trip. It makes a beautiful noise. Very throaty. Will get some pictures and video posted in the next few days.

Congrats Ron!
We stayed in Limon the night of 20Jul & again on 26Jul. Short, 3000 mile vacation with our grand-daughters. I would imagine you have the fastest car in Limon.

RHanselman 07-29-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbidwell (Post 296704)

Woo hoo!

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Locobob 07-31-2019 04:14 PM

This project has been a long time in the works, excited to hear all about it!

rbidwell 08-02-2019 05:58 PM

I tried to post pictures, but I guess it will take some one smarter than I am to get that done.

Hib Halverson 08-03-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbidwell (Post 293222)

600 at the tires on a C4 is about 730 at the flywheel.

If the rear wheel number was SAE-corrected, you're just short of the '19 ZR1's power.

Impressive!

How much boost is the turbo system making?

Keep in mind that the C4 traction control system will not be as effective with 730-hp as it was with 375-405.