ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Emissions Success!!! (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18034)

94Admiral 07-31-2012 08:43 PM

Emissions Success!!!

Just a plug for Marc Haibeck's new "emissions chip".

I have been on the edge the past several tests, but passed today with flying colors.

My '91 blew a:

34 ppm HC (53 ppm limit)
0.06% CO (0.28% limit)
323 ppm NOx (614 ppm limit)

all well under the Connecticut limits (and well under my previous tests). Hurray! 2 more years before sweating out the next test. Atmospheric conditions were 68F and 70% humidity.

For those who are wondering, the Haibeck 500 package on the '91 includes high flow cats, headers, ported intake and heads, aluminum flywheel. and a Haibeck custom chip. I also run 4.10 gears and a Corsa exhaust.

Not sure what the limits are in other states, but the chip worked great for the test in our wonderful, liberal-minded state.

Thanks again Marc - you are the best!!!

Socalerv 07-31-2012 09:15 PM

Re: Emissions Success!!!

Very good to hear as I purchased the chip a couple of months ago for this coming October.

scottfab 07-31-2012 10:06 PM

Very cool now you need to take it to the track and get your times.

tf95ZR1 07-31-2012 11:37 PM

Wow, that would have even worked here in CA!
Limits:
34 ppm HC
.46% CO
494 ppm NO

It is true, M H rocks!

94Admiral 08-01-2012 11:21 AM

Looks like the HC limit would be close for CA....

Marc makes a few recommendations that he sends along with his chip for balancing the HC versus NOx totals. Might be worth letting your NOx creep up a little in an effort to reduce your HC. Engine temp, fuel system cleaner, daytime temp, residual deposits, etc. all factor in to the results.

I was just happy it worked with minimal hassles. A chip swap is so simple.

I have to admit, I was thrilled to remove the emissions chip and put the other old Haibeck chip back in last night....runs like a scalded dog again (does not have the performance with the emissions chip, just in case anybody was wondeirng.....).

I agree, Marc rocks!!!

Kb7tif 08-01-2012 01:42 PM

Ol Marc Haibeck stating ahead of the curve

Paul in VA 08-01-2012 02:45 PM

WoW! I just sent Marc an email on this exact issue thos mroning. I am way low on my HC and CO but my NO is too high. I am hoping Marc can help as well.

Z51JEFF 08-02-2012 02:41 AM

I might have to hit him up in 2 years if Ca lowers the MAX Nos levels again.This past Jan I barely squeaked by.What we should do is everybody chip in-pun intended- to burn a smog chip and send it around the country to those that need to borrow it then send it to the next guy and so on.Illigal,maybe but Im not tellin;).My bone stock 91 at 18,000 miles failed twice before I had to take it to a smog referee.I know of at least 7 cars including mine that have failed and all were within spec before the state lowered the limits 18 months ago.

tomtom72 08-02-2012 07:11 AM

Great news Scott! Lou may want to borrow that chip when his car needs to be inspected.

I'm curious. Does CT just use a sniffer in the exhaust? NYS has gone over to that system and scrapped the roller test with the sniffer.

:cheers:
Tom

94Admiral 08-02-2012 09:12 AM

Tom -

They use dual sniffers in the tail exhaust on the rollers at 25 mph.

Scott

gbmidyear66 08-03-2012 01:49 AM

I just put my car through the other week. Here in Beautiful BC they have come to the rational decision to do away with emmissions testing on cars at the end of 2014. I am guessing they fail so few cars now that the it doesn't make sense. I believe they will focus only on heavy trucks after 2014.

I have new injectors, plugs and no vacuum leaks, a DRM chip with a few outboard mods (using a Moates Adapter) for idle and timing and did pretty well (passed)...

Driving:
HC: 7ppm
CO%: .01
NOx: 336 ppm

Idle
HC: 9 ppm
CO% .02