ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Jack... in spare? (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23662)

Schrade 08-27-2014 03:55 PM

Jack... in spare?

Where was the jack placed, as shipped from BG?

I dropped the spare, to see what might be done there, like Dom said, WRT to drone in the exhaust.

I found a jack-in-a-bag. Looks virgin, and I'm wondering here; is that the place it got sent from GM? I swear my '87 had a foam mold in the compartment behind the P side seat...

http://www.zr1.net/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif

I been watching eBay for a new one; glad I didn't buy...

GOLDCYLON 08-27-2014 04:27 PM

Re: Jack... in spare?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schrade (Post 210761)
Where was the jack placed, as shipped from BG?

I dropped the spare, to see what might be done there, like Dom said, WRT to drone in the exhaust.

I found a jack-in-a-bag. Looks virgin, and I'm wondering here; is that the place it got sent from GM? I swear my '87 had a foam mold in the compartment behind the P side seat...

http://www.zr1.net/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif

I been watching eBay for a new one; glad I didn't buy...

I believe so bagged with the Spare tire. The jack handle to lower the spare and jack is behind the drivers seat. later wasnt it moved to a styrofoam holder in the rear storage caprtment?

Harvie 08-27-2014 04:42 PM

In 91 the delivery driver from Baltimore was given the kits and the dealers put them where they wanted during new car prep. Mine were handed to me by the service manager.

Schrade 08-27-2014 05:14 PM

I wasn't in that 'class' there Harvie, at the time...

Jack handle is behind the driver's seat here Daryll - found that when I converted the interior. But I sure thought EARLIER C4 had the styrofoam mold in the cargo storage area.

But now if 'dealer prep' included handing the jack / package to the buyer, wonder here what that tells about original sale???

Can the mold be bought?

Anyone here got their Z, bought new? What do you have there?

We Gone 08-27-2014 06:47 PM

Did not get my 91 new but only had 9K miles on it and the jack & bag were with the spare.

I believe you are correct the earlier C4's did have the jack in the rear storage compartment. ABS brakes were added to the drive side rear and they moved the jack.

Harvie 08-27-2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schrade (Post 210770)
I wasn't in that 'class' there Harvie, at the time...

Jack handle is behind the driver's seat here Daryll - found that when I converted the interior. But I sure thought EARLIER C4 had the styrofoam mold in the cargo storage area.

But now if 'dealer prep' included handing the jack / package to the buyer, wonder here what that tells about original sale???

Can the mold be bought?

Anyone here got their Z, bought new? What do you have there?

I bought new and got all the doc packages black leather case vcr tapes service manuals (all 3 parts) GM parts manual complete and spare tire tools given to me by the service manager. Still have them all.

The country was in a recession. All GM dealers were not used to dealing with a buyer that spent big $$ so they had various managers deal with us.

They gave us just about anything we wanted or needed pertaining to the cars to make that 80K sale. Most would even deliver in an enclosed truck right to your garage (for those who were using them as their retirement account).

One dealer guaranteed the cars would appreciate and signed papers letting the owner trade it for any car they could order form Chevy, 25 years later, even up.... he went brankrupt....The other large dealer around here were matching Lowes offer, Lustine also is gone now...

Later into 92 early 93 they were discounting them big time to move them. A big reason was that the dealers could not trade the cars inbetween dealerships or they would not get any future LT5s.

spork2367 08-29-2014 10:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Out of my 1990. Looks factory.

WARP TEN 08-29-2014 10:27 AM

On my '93 (bought from the original owner in 1994) the jack was in the spare tire like the picture above. On the '95, it is in the small storage compartment behind the passenger seat, underneath a plastic storage tray. --Bob

geezer 08-29-2014 12:01 PM

Chuck: I can confirm the Spork2367 as posted. I'm the original owner of a MY 90.

secondchance 08-29-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvie (Post 210781)
I bought new and got all the doc packages black leather case vcr tapes service manuals (all 3 parts) GM parts manual complete and spare tire tools given to me by the service manager. Still have them all.

The country was in a recession. All GM dealers were not used to dealing with a buyer that spent big $$ so they had various managers deal with us.

They gave us just about anything we wanted or needed pertaining to the cars to make that 80K sale. Most would even deliver in an enclosed truck right to your garage (for those who were using them as their retirement account).

One dealer guaranteed the cars would appreciate and signed papers letting the owner trade it for any car they could order form Chevy, 25 years later, even up.... he went brankrupt....The other large dealer around here were matching Lowes offer, Lustine also is gone now...

Later into 92 early 93 they were discounting them big time to move them. A big reason was that the dealers could not trade the cars inbetween dealerships or they would not get any future LT5s.

Harvie,

Dealers were giving healthy discount as early as October 1991. I bought my first Z from Sport Chevrolet in Silver Spring in late October 1991. LT1 Vettes were rolling in and they had a red/black Z dieing to get rid of. I got $18,000 discount and took the delivery the same day. Tire jack was on top of the spare in a plastic bag held on to the spare with the spring as is pictured below. Tire back was also in the same location.
I got the pizza box with a leather attache folder (brief case?) with my VIN and name engraved on it. Also, got a letter signed by Chevrolet brass. This package was delivered by USPS or FedEX (can't remember) about 2-3 weeks after the purchase and was totally unexpected. I had kept the original purchase contract but lost it somewhere over the years.

phrogs 08-29-2014 02:44 PM

I don't even remember where the jack was located in my 87 or my 89 convertible but on the 1990 ZR1 and 91 it's in the spare tire held down with a metal spring clip to the spare.

geezer 08-29-2014 03:38 PM

1990 one owner Zr-1 : Spare & jack documentation.
As deliverd from GM April 1990.

Note KOH in yellow crayon.

Schrade 08-30-2014 12:02 AM

Pretty interesting stuff here...

Jack bag is filthy, and the spare, along with the road jam in the spare tray. Jack is immaculate. 32k car.

Mine took a rear hit around '02 - GM repair stickers, with '2002', under rear cargo carpet. on them

:confused:

csavaglio 08-31-2014 03:48 AM

On my '91, the jack, in its original bag, was on top of the spare with the metal spring clip and, if my mid-shift-sleep-deprived mind remembers right, the spare tire pouch, like the others pictured here.

I cleaned up everything and put it back like I found it, except that I put the spare tire pouch behind one of the seats (I'm short, so plenty of space there.....) to try to keep it from getting grimy again and to preserve the screen printing on it.

On my current '96 and the others I've owned, as I recall, the jack is in a molded styrofoam piece under the storage bin (only one on the later C4s), same as mentioned for the '95.

Even though I've owned a gaggle (murder? pack? school?) of L98 C4s, it's been a long time and I can't remember where the jack was.
C

Schrade 08-31-2014 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spork2367 (Post 210941)

THat's what I found. Except dirtier than that...

Dynomite 08-31-2014 07:31 AM

Jack in Zipper Tire Bag inside Black Plastic Bag

Here is what I do ;)

I take the spare tire Zipper Bag (TIRE BAG CONTAINED IN THIS ENVELOPE) and place the jack in that bag. I then place that Zipper Bag with jack in the center of the spare tire with the Spring Clip to hold it in place.

I take a LARGE Black Plastic Bag and place the whole spare tire with Zipper Bag clipped to the center inside that LARGE Black Plastic Bag and Zip Lock the Black Plastic Bag shut. Slip that Large Black Plastic Bag with Spare Tire back into the Tire Rack under the Fuel Tank.

Yep......that is what I do :)

ZBrink 03-08-2024 11:43 PM

Where is the "jack handle" aka lug wrench on a '90 ZR-1? It wasn't in the bag with the jack inside the spare. I'm trying to figure out if it's missing or if it's located somewhere else in the car?

secondchance 03-09-2024 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZBrink (Post 342064)
Where is the "jack handle" aka lug wrench on a '90 ZR-1? It wasn't in the bag with the jack inside the spare. I'm trying to figure out if it's missing or if it's located somewhere else in the car?

Check behind the passenger side seat on the floor. That?s where the jack handle is on the 94.

WARP TEN 03-09-2024 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondchance (Post 342066)
Check behind the passenger side seat on the floor. That?s where the jack handle is on the 94.

You are very knowledgeable and probably right but I seem to recall the jack handle on my 93 being behind the drivers seat, but it has been a long time and maybe I am just confused. Happens more than I am admitting these days.? Bob

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

scorp508 03-11-2024 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phrogs (Post 210973)
I don't even remember where the jack was located in my 87 or my 89 convertible but on the 1990 ZR1 and 91 it's in the spare tire held down with a metal spring clip to the spare.

I was the 2nd owner of my '87.

The jack was in a black bag clipped inside the spare tire in the spare tire carrier.

The wrench was in the rear passenger storage compartment held in place with a wing nut.

secondchance 03-11-2024 08:48 PM

Well, my 84 Z51, jack handle/lug wrench was, if I recall correct and maybe not, was on top of the radiator shroud.
My 91 and 94 (most likely true for 92, 93 and 95) had the jack handle/ lug wrench behind the passenger seat but could be relocated behind the driver seat as well since seat track rear mounting studs are long enough for wing nuts to secure wrench brackets.
Them Corvette engineers had a lot of fun moving it around inside the car.:cheers:

secondchance 03-13-2024 05:23 AM

I checked my owner?s manual and jack handle storage is behind the driver?s seat. I must have relocated it to passenger seat track just to be different.

WARP TEN 03-13-2024 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondchance (Post 342113)
I checked my owner?s manual and jack handle storage is behind the driver?s seat. I must have relocated it to passenger seat track just to be different.

Glad to hear it. That means I am not losing my marbles after all and at least a small part of my memory is still intact.--Bob

AirbusDriver 03-13-2024 11:32 AM

62 Original miles ZR-1 #2456
Before Cleaning...
https://i.postimg.cc/SRNWHTH2/IMG-2069.jpg

After cleaning...
https://i.postimg.cc/W1JMRJYn/IMG-2084.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/3R9GjjWK/IMG-2079.jpg

Other side...
https://i.postimg.cc/CKTbwLWV/IMG-2078.jpg

secondchance 03-13-2024 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WARP TEN (Post 342114)
Glad to hear it. That means I am not losing my marbles after all and at least a small part of my memory is still intact.--Bob

Unfortunately, that means I am losing my marbles and memory has gone to s**t. :)

geezer 03-13-2024 07:05 PM

Secondchance: Your Memory is intact. Jack handle storage is behind drivers seat.

I'm the only owner of MY 90 purchased April 1990. Jack never used-handle never disturbed , still in original place.
Cheers:Bill (geezer)

rufcar 03-13-2024 10:48 PM

My 90 had none of that but the way spork 2367 has it is the exact way it should be on a 90. I rewrapped my bag with another type bag just in case. I found all the missing parts on ebay. Every later yr there are some slight variations. The safety labeling on the jack, the packaging with Styrofoam etc.

secondchance 03-14-2024 03:40 PM

Original spare would be necessary for NCRS judging but would you feel safe to actually use it? Unless, the spare was replaced recently.
I had to squeeze in 18" spare off of Cadillac CTS-V to clear my 14" Wilwood and Wilwood Narrow Superlite calipers.

bob@tradeshowconsulting.c 03-14-2024 04:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
on the 1993 ZR1 the lug nut wrench is behind the drivers seat. The spare tire, Jack, and spare tire bag is in the rear spare tire tray with the spare tire .. the lug nut wrench fits the nut/bolt that holds the spare tire tray in place..