ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 General Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Wilwood Vs Baer? (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35024)

Prez1967 11-07-2023 08:15 PM

Wilwood Vs Baer?

Im tempted (but not very motivated) to start collecting parts for my brake upgrade.

One piece (Baer) vs two piece (Wilwood)?

Which company has a better setup for the rear parking brake?

Which company is more "bolt on"? (Maybe the most important question)

Debating upgrading all the way around. Need to clear Shelby Series 1 Wheels.

Mikey 11-07-2023 09:21 PM

Re: Wilwood Vs Baer?

Caution: Wilwood is not the Wilwood of yester-year.. not an upgrade over the factory setup..

don't know much about Baer. AP Racing on the other hand has never let me down. A true brake upgrade would involve larger wheels, rotors and of course better tires. Afterall, brakes do not stop the car.

What are your usage plans for the car, or how do you define "upgrade" for your application? That can lead to better discussion regarding what solutions will best fit your needs.

Jagdpanzer 11-07-2023 09:40 PM

Went with Baer for my brake upgrade.
https://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread...highlight=Baer

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Prez1967 11-07-2023 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 340745)
Caution: Wilwood is not the Wilwood of yester-year.. not an upgrade over the factory setup..

don't know much about Baer. AP Racing on the other hand has never let me down. A true brake upgrade would involve larger wheels, rotors and of course better tires. Afterall, brakes do not stop the car.

What are your usage plans for the car, or how do you define "upgrade" for your application? That can lead to better discussion regarding what solutions will best fit your needs.

Weekend car... more like 2-4K miles a year. No track time, just fun back road blasting. Have C5 front calipers on car now but they wont fit under Shelbys without modding the wheels. 18s are in my future whether Shelby Series 1s or other aftermarket wheels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer (Post 340746)
Went with Baer for my brake upgrade.
https://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread...highlight=Baer

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

I couldnt remember what we talked about at Carlisle. Thanks for reminding me!!

HAWAIIZR-1 11-08-2023 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prez1967 (Post 340747)
Weekend car... more like 2-4K miles a year. No track time, just fun back road blasting. Have C5 front calipers on car now but they wont fit under Shelbys without modding the wheels. 18s are in my future whether Shelby Series 1s or other aftermarket wheels.

It really depends on what you are looking for from your upgrade and your budget. I mainly upgraded my brakes after tracking the car and now I don?t track it. I think Wilwoods are the middle of the road, but I have been every pleased with them. Their Narrow superlite calipers fit under the Shelby?s Series 1 wheels so that is a plus, even if you go with their 6 piston front calipers. The emergency brake works well and bolt on, but you have the additional caliper unlike the Baer drum style. You can?t go wrong with either. Ask Jegs for the racers discount to your profile for additional saving and wait for the sale for addition money off and free shipping. Some people upgrade brakes for a specific racing purpose and some for the cool factor and bling, it just depends on what you need and why on the street in my opinion.

-=Jeff=- 11-11-2023 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 340745)

What is different? I have Wilwood on the front of my Z. They are older ones

Narrow Superlights I think

GOLDCYLON 11-14-2023 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- (Post 340776)
What is different? I have Wilwood on the front of my Z. They are older ones

Narrow Superlights I think

That's what I have the six piston narrowlites in the fronts and the 4 piston rear Wilwoods. They are exceptionally superior than stock J 55s

secondchance 11-14-2023 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON (Post 340800)
That's what I have the six piston narrowlites in the fronts and the 4 piston rear Wilwoods. They are exceptionally superior than stock J 55s

I went with Wilwood narrowlite 6 pistons at front with two piece rotors and 4 piston Wilwood based kit with Mr. Parker's parking brake around 2013 to 2015. 18" Fikse wheels allowed me to run 14" rotors up front and 13" rotors at the rear.
Works great and looks pretty - no complaints.

Mikey 11-14-2023 12:17 PM

Wilwood is fine for street. Just don?t try racing with them

secondchance 11-14-2023 01:33 PM

I wouldn't race 30 year old C4 ZR-1 no matter what brand brakes are on the car.