ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 General Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   ZR-1 Convertible Conversion (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16439)

cvette98pacecar 01-08-2012 06:38 PM

Re: ZR-1 Convertible Conversion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Flame Restorations (Post 130581)
Rear clips are dirt cheap. Under $1000 for everything needed. Remember, the rear upper surround panel and decklid will only be used to apply tthe rear 1/4's and then a newmold and panel will be made from the spliced panel.

You interested in doing two at the same time? Depending on when you are going to start this project I can purchase a Z strip the interior and deliver it to you.

Blue Flame Restorations 01-08-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar (Post 130591)
You interested in doing two at the same time? Depending on when you are going to start this project I can purchase a Z strip the interior and deliver it to you.

It will be in the Spring, after #702 is mechanically sound and home from Chicago Pete.

I'll most likely do #702 and create a process for conversions. After that, I'll be ready to do them at will.

Blue Flame Restorations 01-08-2012 10:06 PM

After a couple of PM's, I think I'm going to do the mockup on the red 1990 #444 body from Virginia. The body is stripped anyway. I can do the mockup and mold making on it over the next few months.

What I envision is fabbing the body, making molds for the widened panels and then making new panels so they can be available for anyone wanting to do the conversion on an existing ZR-1.

Is there a market for this type of thing?

Tyler Townsley 01-08-2012 11:35 PM

I recomment you include the chassis stiffners that Gorden K has for the C-4 to help reduce the car flex you will induce by cutting the coupe hoop and top structure out.

Tyler

Blue Flame Restorations 01-08-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley (Post 130615)
I recomment you include the chassis stiffners that Gorden K has for the C-4 to help reduce the car flex you will induce by cutting the coupe hoop and top structure out.

Tyler

Are they more rigid than the regular conv X-Brace?

RICKYRJ1 01-09-2012 03:51 AM

I looked to do this same project several years ago. Some members gave me some great contacts of quality shops that would been able to pull this off. Prices were in the 25-30k range plus the price of a Z to chop. Some shops also gave me an hourly rate only. Most wanted to buy a donor C4 convert. and strip it down for all the parts needed.
If Brett can pull this off (which I'm sure he can I would be interested in also having it done) I might have a line on a perfect ZR-1 to CHOP! No, not my 95 :)
Keep us updated :cheers:

I forgot, the idea of making her a roadster with no top at all was also tossed around by some shops.

cvette98pacecar 01-10-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Flame Restorations (Post 130611)
After a couple of PM's, I think I'm going to do the mockup on the red 1990 #444 body from Virginia. The body is stripped anyway. I can do the mockup and mold making on it over the next few months.

What I envision is fabbing the body, making molds for the widened panels and then making new panels so they can be available for anyone wanting to do the conversion on an existing ZR-1.

Is there a market for this type of thing?

Brett, If you can pull this off for a reasonable price I am sure there is a small Market, Maybe 20 or so cars.

HAWAIIZR-1 01-10-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICKYRJ1 (Post 130624)
I looked to do this same project several years ago. Some members gave me some great contacts of quality shops that would been able to pull this off. Prices were in the 25-30k range plus the price of a Z to chop. Some shops also gave me an hourly rate only. Most wanted to buy a donor C4 convert. and strip it down for all the parts needed.
If Brett can pull this off (which I'm sure he can I would be interested in also having it done) I might have a line on a perfect ZR-1 to CHOP! No, not my 95 :)
Keep us updated :cheers:

I forgot, the idea of making her a roadster with no top at all was also tossed around by some shops.

Ricky,

I would not mind having my ZR-1 chopped for a reasonable price; that would be a one of a kind for sure. I only did a chopped top 67 VW Bug back in the day while in high school. I can't imagine how the rear hatch glass would be done other than with one of those hatch kits that remove the glass with a flat piece.

Craig

cvette98pacecar 01-10-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 (Post 130748)
Ricky,

I would not mind having my ZR-1 chopped for a reasonable price; that would be a one of a kind for sure. I only did a chopped top 67 VW Bug back in the day while in high school. I can't imagine how the rear hatch glass would be done other than with one of those hatch kits that remove the glass with a flat piece.

Craig

Get everything needed from a C4 Convertible, My concern would be the rear fascia, width of the C4 deck lid, Convertible top locks.

Blue Flame Restorations 01-10-2012 06:39 PM

It's really a no brainer. Widening the rear is not a hard thing to do. Latches and hatches won't be an issue. After I do the first one, I'll be able to gage the labor hrs required to do them at will.

This will be fun.