ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cleaning and Waxing (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Biffing/Polishing 1990 Bright Red (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33247)

Erik 07-24-2021 06:44 AM

Buffing/Polishing 1990 Bright Red

Not too unhappy with the finish on my bright red 1990, but it is still a step away from being at its best. While it's been 30 years since I've done any paint polishing with a buffer, I wouldn't mind gently and slowly getting back into it again.

Any recommendations to get the best out of bright red? And good basic tools to start with? Recommended polishes?

Thanks!

TX '90 ZR1 07-24-2021 10:41 AM

Re: Biffing/Polishing 1990 Bright Red

3 Attachment(s)
When I got my bright red '90 it wasn't bad, but didn't have the "pop" I thought it should.
Tried several brands and settled on Meguires products.
First make sure car is clean. Use a clay bar to remove contaminants. I used Meguires Ultimate Detailer as the lubricant. You will have to experiment with the polishes/compounds to determine how much you need to cut. I would recommend using the least abrasive possible to get the job done. Follow up with the Meguires glaze and Ultimate past wax.
Takes some time, but worked on mine.
Here's a couple of pics. No clue why they are upside down? Just feel good I got them attached!! :cheers:

Attachment 15869

Attachment 15870

Attachment 15871

Erik 07-24-2021 11:06 AM

And, of course the title should read Buffing, not Biffing. If any mod could change that, I'd appreciate it.

Erik 07-24-2021 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TX '90 ZR1 (Post 325492)
When I got my bright red '90 it wasn't bad, but didn't have the "pop" I thought it should.
Tried several brands and settled on Meguires products.
First make sure car is clean. Use a clay bar to remove contaminants. I used Meguires Ultimate Detailer as the lubricant. You will have to experiment with the polishes/compounds to determine how much you need to cut. I would recommend using the least abrasive possible to get the job done. Follow up with the Meguires glaze and Ultimate past wax.
Takes some time, but worked on mine.
Here's a couple of pics. No clue why they are upside down? Just feel good I got them attached!! :cheers:

Attachment 15869

Attachment 15870

Attachment 15871

Thanks.
That's what I am looking for. Yours looks awesome.

Mine is decent, but not great. Not that I think the C4 got the worlds best paint work from the factory. Definitely better then a St Louis C3, but not yet world class.

Paul Workman 08-28-2021 12:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
These are a couple examples of the Zaino polymers. They are maybe an 8 or 9 on (my) 10 scale; pretty good (I think) limited by the limited available "elbow grease" available at the time.

But, frankly I've always been willing to try something that works as well without the drudgery necessary to get there (see photos). Oh! Did I mention it needs to be durable too!