ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Oygen sensor removal, passenger side (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28875)

Reichert 03-03-2018 05:55 PM

Oygen sensor removal, passenger side

Any tips on disconnecting the passenger side O2 sensor on a 1990? It's jammed way up in there and I don't see an obvious way to get to it.

I just got the car and haven't picked up the service manuals yet - still deciding between print and online.

Young1 03-03-2018 06:01 PM

Re: Oygen sensor removal, passenger side

I did it recently. Remove the angle frame brace. It looks like it holds up the motor but it doesn't. The connecter is then accessible. Not at all difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Reichert 03-03-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young1 (Post 275413)
I did it recently. Remove the angle frame brace. It looks like it holds up the motor but it doesn't. The connecter is then accessible. Not at all difficult.

took a peak under the car again and yeah, that makes sense - i'll give it a try and report when I can and report back. Thanks!

Young1 03-03-2018 06:55 PM

Be sure to install a Denso or a Bosch. The cheapies don't work.

XfireZ51 03-03-2018 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young1 (Post 275421)
Be sure to install a Denso or a Bosch. The cheapies don't work.

Suggest AC/Delco from Rock Auto

instead.

Reichert 03-03-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XfireZ51 (Post 275425)
Suggest AC/Delco from Rock Auto

instead.

I had already purchased the Bosch sensors (13077). Well ... I bought them on Amazon (3rd party vendor), and I received 2 Bosch branded boxes - only one of them had the correct part in it. *sigh*

Young1 03-03-2018 08:46 PM

I bought a pair of Bosch on Rock Auto. Good pricing you just have to wait

Paul Workman 03-04-2018 10:00 AM

I concur with Dominic. The Bosch (in particular) would become intermittent at times - causing me "a little" angst!

But, the REAL angst was accessing the sensors to remove and reinstall them!

The "fix' was plugging the top mount bungs and installing new ones facing laterally toward the frame rails. What a good idea that turned out to be! (I placed them at about 80-85º from vertical to my SW header collectors. I've NO problems with them being damaged when bottoming out (i.e., speed bumps, etc), and heaven knows I've tested them!!)

O2 (weld in) Bungs: Summit Racing: #SLE 30115

Reichert 03-04-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Workman (Post 275450)
I concur with Dominic. The Bosch (in particular) would become intermittent at times - causing me "a little" angst!

But, the REAL angst was accessing the sensors to remove and reinstall them!

The "fix' was plugging the top mount bungs and installing new ones facing laterally toward the frame rails. What a good idea that turned out to be! (I placed them at about 80-85º from vertical to my SW header collectors. I've NO problems with them bottoming out, and heaven knows I've tested them!!)

O2 (weld in) Bungs: Summit Racing: #SLE 30115

I really didn't have an issue accessing the sensors, using a slotted 3/8ths offset wrench.

Per XfireZ51 and your advice, I went ahead and ordered the delco sensors from rock auto, since I only had one useful bosch sensor from my amazon order.

-Stephen

Z51JEFF 03-06-2018 11:44 PM

Plugging the thing in is a real challenge. What I did was put a wad of dumdum on the end of a long thin screwdriver and started the plug into the other end and then used another long screwdriver to push the plug together. Dumdum is seam sealer.