ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Engine won't start and evrything is dark (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34646)

Jetjock 03-05-2023 10:38 AM

Engine won't start and evrything is dark

Back in 2016, the starter interrupt relay started giving me fits by not letting me start after driving a little bit. I replaced the relay and never had a problem with that. Last week or so, I took the car to car wash and after driving out, I shut down the engine and cleaned up the car inside and out. When I was done, it wouldn't start. Same scenario. Called AAA and got the car home and then it started. I went ahead and replaced the relay because it acted exactly like the last time that it did it. The guy at the parts store said that this was the right relay for the car so I got it and it started right up, no issues. I moved the car a few times since then with no problems. Yesterday, I started it up to go something and it did it again except this time everything went dark. I had instrumentation before and now nothing.

One note to mention. We did have thunderstorms pass through the area with high winds. The house is ok electrically except for the garage. All of the outlets are out including the one for the garage door. I checked the CB and it was fine. I rigged up a bypass so my wife can get in and out. The car was hooked up to the battery tender at the time of the storm. Its kinda weird for these things to happen like this. Any thoughts about the car?

Roy

Corvette95 03-05-2023 01:00 PM

Re: Engine won't start and evrything is dark

Soooo have you removed the plenum and checked the starter itself? Should should also be able to test the red wire going to the starter for voltage. Have you added the remote started relay upgrade?

mlipmd 03-05-2023 01:15 PM

Your battery cable connections are clean and tight? Checked the battery voltage?
Does the battery tender still work or did it get blown by the lightning strike?
Unusual for all electrical circuits in the car to be dead but you have to start at the battery and work down the line checking fuse boxes, fuseable links, and wiring.

conesare2seconds 03-05-2023 01:54 PM

Would probably take the battery down to the auto parts store and have it tested. It could have an internal short.

Jetjock 03-05-2023 01:57 PM

Well, here is the situation so far. The car is totally dead. Battery voltage is 12.63 volts. No lights at all. It did start up a day before the weather hit but not any more. It's not the starter, it's not the battery. It's a massive, blown circuit.

Roy

Mikey 03-05-2023 05:04 PM

Check ignition fuse

Jetjock 03-05-2023 06:56 PM

Re: Engine won't start and everything is dark

I checked the ignition fuses and they were both good. However, while I was pulling out one of the fuses, I suddenly had power, the hood lights came on and other noises occurred and then shut off. It sounds like a bus tie connector going back and forth except I don't think that this car has one.

Roy

Mikey 03-05-2023 07:27 PM

Sounds like your electrical issue may be intermittent due to loose, broken or corroded connection in/around the fuse block