ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest Region (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Trip Preparation (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9762)

4DSZR1 09-16-2009 04:38 PM

Trip Preparation

I was trading emails with Jeff F recently about driving our cars out to BG next May, and what things we need to do to our cars to prepare them for the journey.

So let me throw the question out to the experienced Boy Scouts out there. What stuff should I be checking and/or replacing. I have a handle on obvious i.e.. oils, greases, fluids and coolant, but I know there are others.

Also, what spare parts, tools should we pack along with a large credit card with a high limit.

Thanks in advance

Rick

Jeffvette 09-16-2009 05:03 PM

Re: Trip Preparation

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4DSZR1 (Post 70922)
I was trading emails with Jeff F recently about driving our cars out to BG next May, and what things we need to do to our cars to prepare them for the journey.

So let me throw the question out to the experienced Boy Scouts out there. What stuff should I be checking and/or replacing. I have a handle on obvious i.e.. oils, greases, fluids and coolant, but I know there are others.

Also, what spare parts, tools should we pack along with a large credit card with a high limit.

Thanks in advance

Rick

Rick short list.

Ball joints
Bearings
Fluids
Tires (age & wear)

Things to carry
V1
Air pump for a possible flat
Can of fix a flat
Cash for the hookers
Small tool set. Enough to get by. I don't think you will pull a trans on the side of the road.

For the drive I'm packing an alternator water pump, some plenum gaskets, and a couple of serp belts. Plus these items don't take a lot of room in the car.

I figure those will be the expendable items that can easily be replaced that are not easy to come by from a parts store in BFE.

4DSZR1 09-16-2009 08:51 PM

Good list.... How much cash :p

I don't have a water pump, been thinking with 56K I should start looking. I have the serp belt.

.....need more cash.........

Polo-1 09-16-2009 09:06 PM

Great Insurance.

Walk away

Hello new Z06

Jeffvette 09-16-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polo-1 (Post 70934)
Great Insurance.

Walk away

Hello new Z06

:handshak:

4DSZR1 09-17-2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Great Insurance.

Walk away

Hello new Z06

Brilliant :worship:

Hammer 09-18-2009 08:19 AM

I'm going through the cooling system this year. New hoses, t-stat and maybe radiator from www.corvetterecycling.com if I replace it. I'll have a bag of tools and a few spares also. Defintely some plenum gaskets.

4DSZR1 09-18-2009 09:24 AM

Great idea.... hoses added to the list. I replaced the t-stat a couple years ago

GOLDCYLON 09-18-2009 09:51 AM

Couple of those red shop rags. Wrap them around the can of Fix a flat. Make sure you change out the wiper blades before the trip. Maybe a few fuses and common bulbs?

Nick 09-19-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Great Insurance.

Walk away

Hello new Z06

:thumbsup: