ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Heater Core replacement DIY (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34991)

SteveCS 10-10-2023 12:08 PM

Heater Core replacement DIY

3 Attachment(s)
Did the heater core on my car over the weekend, started out following some of the YouTube vids and ended up finding easier ways to get it done. Threw together a write-up if anyone needs it.

JT ZR-Won 10-10-2023 01:45 PM

Re: Heater Core replacement DIY

Great info, thank you posting that!

Jay

Matt B 10-11-2023 01:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for sharing! I went through this some time ago. And I have to admit that I have absolutely NO idea how you managed to remove the heater core housing cover with that nasty tube in place. Congratulations you found a way!!!

In my case, even with every bit and piece removed and the hose loosened (I went the long run and did not cut the tube) it was next to impossible to pull that cover. Speaking about a 91. I had to get the tube out of my way in order to proceed.
To be clear: I didn't have any issue to access all screws. Easy going with all braces removed. But (on my 91) that hose is one single piece that runs straight from the heater core into the driver side footwell and fully locks the cover in. AND it has a nozzle attached to it that reaches into the heater core housing.

How did you overcome that? Don't get me wrong - I don't doubt you made it. Just want to understand how :)

Attachment 19913Attachment 19914

Corvettes White 10-11-2023 11:12 AM

Nice first post. Welcome to here.

George

SteveCS 10-11-2023 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt B (Post 340496)
Thanks for sharing! I went through this some time ago. And I have to admit that I have absolutely NO idea how you managed to remove the heater core housing cover with that nasty tube in place. Congratulations you found a way!!!

In my case, even with every bit and piece removed and the hose loosened (I went the long run and did not cut the tube) it was next to impossible to pull that cover. Speaking about a 91. I had to get the tube out of my way in order to proceed.
To be clear: I didn't have any issue to access all screws. Easy going with all braces removed. But (on my 91) that hose is one single piece that runs straight from the heater core into the driver side footwell and fully locks the cover in. AND it has a nozzle attached to it that reaches into the heater core housing.

How did you overcome that? Don't get me wrong - I don't doubt you made it. Just want to understand how :)

Attachment 19913Attachment 19914

Good catch, and I missed it on the write up. Full disclosure - I didn't know about that before removing as all of the other how-tos remove the tube with the box. The "nozzle" as you call it does detach, and you can pull the duct away enough to get on it from behind.

Further disclosure - I'm a car audio guy, I've never met a dash I couldn't reverse engineer so what seemed intuitive to me may be a nightmare for everyone else.

Matt B 10-12-2023 12:06 PM

Haha, I'm a car audio guy, too. We have skills and can bear pain levels other guys can't.
But that nozzle particularly drove me CRAZY when trying to get it back in place. Removal was okay as things tend to simply fall off at a certain point. But reinstalling it was a challenge.

I wish I could have seen how you made it and learn [emoji106]

Corvette95 10-19-2023 07:40 AM

Great post. As I understand it, the 94-96 C4 heater box is easier to access than the early ones and if you have to do the heater core, it is recommended to replace the early box with the later box. Mirrock Corvettes had a big write up about it. I have a later box ready just in case.

BlackZR1 10-28-2023 04:04 PM

Thanks SteveCS, Saving for future reference.

HAWAIIZR-1 10-29-2023 03:01 AM

Thank you Steve CS. I need to do this soon on my 95. I?m sure I?ll owe you a few beers for this if you?re ever in Hawaii or Japan. [emoji1360]🤙🏼

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

HAWAIIZR-1 10-29-2023 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corvette95 (Post 340578)
Great post. As I understand it, the 94-96 C4 heater box is easier to access than the early ones and if you have to do the heater core, it is recommended to replace the early box with the later box. Mirrock Corvettes had a big write up about it. I have a later box ready just in case.

I am praying you are correct for my 95. I don?t know the difference, but I need to remove the bypass hose and just do this soon.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry