ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cam Position Sensor Removal (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32386)

KJL 11-07-2020 02:40 PM

Cam Position Sensor Removal

I need to replace the cam position sensor seal on my 92 ZR1. Looks challenging to get to......any tips or tricks to gaining access before I just start removing stuff? I just had my master brake cylinder out and kick myself for not replacing it then. It would have allowed for a little more access.

Jagdpanzer 11-07-2020 10:04 PM

Re: Cam Position Sensor Removal

Remove the 6mm cap screw that retains the cam sensor to the the cylinder head. Twist the sensor back and forth a few times while prying the retaining tab out with a screwdriver. Be prepared to catch a few ounces of oil when the seal pops clear.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

KJL 11-15-2020 03:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I removed a few things including the inner fender skirt sections and the ASR bracket and pulled the hoses off of what is called the electric diverter valve. It was all quite easy and gives me plenty of room to get my fat hands on the sensor. Waiting on the new seal to arrive any day now. Given all the hoses, brackets, wire harness and components, there was no way for me to get my hand on it.

G8nightman 11-15-2020 07:57 PM

Make sure the leak is not the sensor itself I ordered a seal too then found a hair line crack in sensor itself

KJL 11-16-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G8nightman (Post 316490)
Make sure the leak is not the sensor itself I ordered a seal too then found a hair line crack in sensor itself

Good point, I will give the sensor a close inspection.

32valvZ 11-16-2020 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G8nightman (Post 316490)

Mine was doing that also...

KJL 11-16-2020 07:21 PM

Is there a fix for this? JB weld? Silicone?

Jetjock 11-16-2020 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer (Post 316210)
Remove the 6mm cap screw that retains the cam sensor to the the cylinder head. Twist the sensor back and forth a few times while prying the retaining tab out with a screwdriver. Be prepared to catch a few ounces of oil when the seal pops clear.

A few ounces of oil? I had half of quart of oil come out. It looked like the Exxon Valdez in my garage!

KJL 11-19-2020 06:18 PM

Update: Sensor is cracked. Starts on top and travels down the side. I think it stops just short of the seal. There is mold seam there as well which makes it harder to verify where the crack stops and the seam starts. I need to get a closer look with a jewelers loupe.

As luck would have it I ordered a new one from Phil but if I can, I would like to try and repair the crack if possible. The sensor still works. Any thoughts? Super glue? Epoxy? RTV? How much clearance between the sensor and the cam?

Only a little oil cam out when I removed it.

32valvZ 11-20-2020 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJL (Post 316648)
Update: Sensor is cracked. Starts on top and travels down the side. I think it stops just short of the seal. There is mold seam there as well which makes it harder to verify where the crack stops and the seam starts. I need to get a closer look with a jewelers loupe.

As luck would have it I ordered a new one from Phil but if I can, I would like to try and repair the crack if possible. The sensor still works. Any thoughts? Super glue? Epoxy? RTV? How much clearance between the sensor and the cam?

Only a little oil cam out when I removed it.

Honestly, I wouldnt use anything to try to fix that crack... you wouldnt want RTV or any kind of epoxy floating around in the oil galleys and I doubt super glue would hold. Its now an official paper weight. :)