ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Failed Alternator (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25365)

BigIke 07-17-2015 08:00 PM

Failed Alternator

Got one on the way...

Should I remove the upper plenum or the throttle body horn to access that dude?

Thanks,

Bmak77 07-17-2015 10:43 PM

Re: Failed Alternator

Here is a video on youtube of a guy replacing an alternator by only taking throttle body and horn off. Looks pretty difficult without lifting the plenum, but this guy did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCIZZATqTao

good luck

BigIke 07-19-2015 10:11 PM

Pulled the intake... Super easy, also i've thought there was a manifold vacuum leak since i purchased the car 14k miles ago... Well, that big hose the connects under the manifold, the one with the pigtail loop, it wasn't connected!!!! Super happy about that!

Thinking about tieing the secondaries open and have the chip flashed...

Also - Car overheats in traffic without the AC on. Well i looked in between the condenser and evaporator, through a small hole in the pass side of shroud. The UPPER (primary) fan is CLOGGED something fierce!!! There is a perfect circle of debris where the fan is sucking... Goning to get a tube for my blow gun and blow the junk out from the side or from the bottom. That shroud looks like a bear to remove!

GOLDCYLON 07-20-2015 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigIke (Post 229371)
Pulled the intake... Super easy, also i've thought there was a manifold vacuum leak since i purchased the car 14k miles ago... Well, that big hose the connects under the manifold, the one with the pigtail loop, it wasn't connected!!!! Super happy about that!

Thinking about tieing the secondaries open and have the chip flashed...

Also - Car overheats in traffic without the AC on. Well i looked in between the condenser and evaporator, through a small hole in the pass side of shroud. The UPPER (primary) fan is CLOGGED something fierce!!! There is a perfect circle of debris where the fan is sucking... Goning to get a tube for my blow gun and blow the junk out from the side or from the bottom. That shroud looks like a bear to remove!

The lower screws for the rad shroud are a PITA but the rest of the job is pretty straight forward. GC

Dynomite 07-20-2015 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON (Post 229389)
The lower screws for the rad shroud are a PITA but the rest of the job is pretty straight forward. GC

You can reach in with a long open end and taking your time :p
.........remove the three (I think 7mm) screws on each side holding the lower part of the Radiator cowling in place. I replace ONLY the lower single 7mm screw when replacing the cowling. I will check if it is 6mm screw :D

Also when we are on the subject.......I checked my Ron Davis Radiator with Debree Screen installed (1/4 inch mesh) and found trash on the front of the Ron Davis Radiator that had gotten through the screen. Following a Silage Truck with lots of small trash on the pavement did not help :D

What one needs for a perfect Debree Screen is a mesh size equal to or a bit smaller than the radiator pass through openings. But if one had a Debree Screen with that mesh size you are actually decreasing the air flow since the front Duct for Air Flow is actually smaller than the Front Face of the Radiator.

So......We are left with inspecting and cleaning the Radiators of trash from time to time and leave the Debree Screen to stop plastic bags, leaves, Dragon Flys ;)

BigIke 07-20-2015 10:20 PM

Thanks for that!

Well alternator didn't fit... The back bracket didn't fit at all and the top bracket was off a little too..

WVZR-1 07-21-2015 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigIke (Post 229444)
Thanks for that!

Well alternator didn't fit... The back bracket didn't fit at all and the top bracket was off a little too..

What brand and part # did you buy? Source?

-=Jeff=- 07-21-2015 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 229461)
What brand and part # did you buy? Source?

my best guess is he got a late style CS-144.. those have a bigger case than the early style our ZR-1 have..

There is enough difference in the case size that it will not fit..

GOLDCYLON 07-21-2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- (Post 229467)
my best guess is he got a late style CS-144.. those have a bigger case than the early style our ZR-1 have..

There is enough difference in the case size that it will not fit..

Yep one of the reasons I kept my old one to match up the potential new replacment. It's just slightly different enough to NOT fit :censored: