ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Exhaust for max performance. (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16565)

rhipsher 01-25-2012 11:20 PM

Exhaust for max performance.

Ok I've made a few decisions. My long term goal is to aquire a prestine low mile 385 or 415 stroker. And Im sure one way or another I'll have it. I've decided not to sell mine to get one. I've got way to much time and labor invested in all the work I've done to it. And Id be lieing if I didn't say im a little emotionally attached to it. A good ZR-1 friend. Suggested that after the top end porting I did almost two years ago that I owe it to myself and finish it by getting the headers X pipe high flow bullet cats and a good exhaust system. Im gonna get rid of the Borla. Im gonna have Corey fab me up the Jeal headers and make my high flow bullet cats removable so I can remove them after emissions testing and a pipe to fit in place of the cats if its possible. My question is 2.5" or 3"exhaust. Corey once told me that a 3" B&B is to much for a stock displacement LT5. And that it will cost me torque. Then a year later he tells me I need a 3"B&B. That's confusing. I know everybody has their opinion but what are the facts?

Kevin 01-25-2012 11:22 PM

Re: Exhaust for max performance.

headers/3" pipes electronic cut outs/corsas

rhipsher 01-25-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 131804)
headers/3" pipes electronic cut outs/corsas

So 2.5" Corsa.

Kevin 01-25-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhipsher (Post 131806)
So 2.5" Corsa.

best of both worlds. cut outs for max performance, corsa's...or even stock mufflers, for quite driving

sammy 01-26-2012 12:33 PM

rick .if my health gets a little better as well as cash flow . i will try to take both exhausts to fontana and send you the results . exhaust 1 21/2 in dr gas with their x pipe and spin tech mufflers . exhaust 2 3 in b and b x pipe into 23/4 in piping to 3 in dyno max super turbos with dual 21/2 in exits . its just a personal opinion but i think for overall performance that 3 in in a stk displacement motor loses tq on the lower rpm range . if one drag races the car alot the 3in may be the best as losing a little tq on the low end can actually help the car 60ft better . but with the 3 in one seems to have a lot more trouble with interior noise .

Pete 01-26-2012 01:22 PM

Rick, a few questions.
1. you want it for bling bling?
2. sound?
3. Balls out performance.

Stock factory exhaust is 2 7/8" why go smaller pipe.

I would do is 2" primary headers, 3" exhaust w/X-pipe Dynomax mufflers one 3" inlet/ two 2 1/2" outlets buy yourself some C6 ZO6 mufflers,use the flappers in one outlet pipe on your Dynomax mufflers, you can use the ZO6 tips, now you have a quiet exhaust and all out performance.

Trust me you will not loose any low end torque.

The reason most tuners suggest Corsa is because most corvette guys are old and anal they don't care for power they want bling bling and sound.
BORLA is proof of this.

Pete

PS
If you don't like the above exhaust i'm almost certain someone will buy it from you and then you can go buy your "grumpy old man exhaust"LOL

sammy 01-26-2012 02:25 PM

pete i thought the factory size was 23/4????/

USAFPILOT 01-26-2012 07:11 PM

I need to go have mine tuned and see if I lost any torque.

rhipsher 01-26-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 131826)
Rick, a few questions.
1. you want it for bling bling?
2. sound?
3. Balls out performance.

Stock factory exhaust is 2 7/8" why go smaller pipe.

I would do is 2" primary headers, 3" exhaust w/X-pipe Dynomax mufflers one 3" inlet/ two 2 1/2" outlets buy yourself some C6 ZO6 mufflers,use the flappers in one outlet pipe on your Dynomax mufflers, you can use the ZO6 tips, now you have a quiet exhaust and all out performance.

Trust me you will not loose any low end torque.

The reason most tuners suggest Corsa is because most corvette guys are old and anal they don't care for power they want bling bling and sound.
BORLA is proof of this.

Pete

PS
If you don't like the above exhaust i'm almost certain someone will buy it from you and then you can go buy your "grumpy old man exhaust"LOL

Hey old man! Your older than me by a few year. Lol! I don't care about the looks of it. Performance is what counts. But I am also on a budget and I've got to decide what to leave in and what to leave out. The electronic exhaust cut outs are a great idea and I really like the setup on Dennises atomic orange Z. But im perfectly happy with removable cats. Having a loud exhaust system doesn't bother me since I only drive it once a week so its not an issue. Then a tune. And that's all im going to do to this car. If the car dynos between 390 to 400rwhp then Im cool with that.

sammy 01-26-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAFPILOT (Post 131858)
I need to go have mine tuned and see if I lost any torque.

i lost 15 ft lbs of tq till aprox 4000 rpms where it caught up and then past the previous runs .that why i went back to the 23/4 in pipe from the exit of the x pipe to the mufflers