ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 General Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   '91 cosmetic refresh/restore (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33447)

onethumb 09-21-2021 05:14 PM

'91 cosmetic refresh/restore

3 Attachment(s)
I thought I'd share my journey here with my '91.

I bought it 4 years ago from a forum member. It already had numerous upgrades (Haibeck 500, blueprinted trans from Bill Boudreau, harness bar, etc), and had been *very* well cared for by it's previous owner.

So I did what any rational person would do---I drove it :)

My intent was never to make it a project, as it was a very good car as-is. But I can't leave well enough alone....

The paint, although cared for well, had been polished down to the very bottom of the clear coat, and the car had a number of rock chips and such from being driven on the AZ highways.

So I tried one last polish, but I was pulling color off with it, so I knew it either had to be left alone or I'd have to paint it.

And over the last 4 years, I've totally become attached to the car. I can't imagine ever selling it now.

So I painted it. And if you're going to paint, you might as well really go at it. No half-assed jobs. Be bold. Have fun.

So here we are: my ZR-1 with it's new color: Tangelo Tri-Coat Pearl by House of Kolor. Base color is white, with 9 layers of color applied on top. Hard paint to work with, as it goes on thin, but the effect is outstanding. Lots of flop in the sunlight--it really brings out the awesome lines of the car, particularly the rear.

More to come--I have wheels on order and the interior will be it's own project too. That gap between the dash and the passenger side fairing just bugs the hell out of me, and some of the materials could use an update too.

secondchance 09-21-2021 10:05 PM

Re: '91 cosmetic refresh/restore

Fantastic! I am truly happy for you. I went through a similar saga between 2009 to 2016 with a lot of help from the WAZOO gang.
When bored, run a search under ?threads started by? secondchance. It might make an interesting read by timeline.
Enjoy your car! You might consider Xpel at least on front bumper, below the belt line where the front fender, doors, dog legs and rear fenders start to tuck under. Just my two cents. :cheers:

HAWAIIZR-1 09-21-2021 10:25 PM

Thanks for sharing your project. Nice!! 🤙🏼

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

PhillipsLT5 09-21-2021 11:40 PM

Thanks for the kind words, glad to see you are enjoying and caretaking, I do miss #1258, I do agree with Xpel at this point
https://www.xpel.com/clearbra-instal...ona/scottsdale

onethumb 09-21-2021 11:50 PM

Yes, that's what I'm hearing from everyone. Seems like the smart thing to do next while I wait for wheels.

GOLDCYLON 09-22-2021 01:40 AM

Also concur just redid the nose on my CTS-V and have an appointment for stage one kit on 15 Oct. what wheels did you choose ?

Bill did my transmission on my 91 as well and it's been bullet proof. One of the reasons bought my first ZR-2 and I drove her home from Houston in 2006 after my first tour in Iraq.

:cheers:

Matt B 09-22-2021 05:48 AM

Wow, that color is stunning!!! Great taste and it really pleases the car. Looking forward to to further pictures.

Sent from my SM-G991B using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

JThomas 09-22-2021 11:04 AM

The car is looking great! :thumbsup:

AirbusDriver 09-22-2021 04:49 PM

Very good looking car!

ghlkal 09-22-2021 10:47 PM

That orange paint is fantastic :thumbsup:

I just saw the ZR-2 Big Doggie at Effingham and I was struck at how nice orange looked on a C4.

Did you do the paint yourself??