ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Need Help Getting Driver Side Door Panel Off (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33506)

KJL 10-13-2021 05:08 PM

Need Help Getting Driver Side Door Panel Off

Trying to remove my 92 drivers side trim panel. I have followed the FSM instructions by removing all screws and pulling the accessory panel and disconnection the associated wire harnesses but the panel still seems to be hung up on something in the area of door handle? Any ideas? This is not the first time I have done this and I don't remember it being this difficult to figure out.

There appears to be a screw behind the lock slider knob that engages a nylon nut. I don't see any way to get to this screw if it is located behind the slider knob. My key is stuck in the door lock and the lock mechanism is not fully engaging or dis-engaging. Trying to get the panel off so I can see what is on. It is always something with this F#@$#%G car.

It is the latch handle face plate that seems to still be hung up in the area of the lock slider knob. So maybe there is a screw back there. My main problem is my key is stuck in the lock in the horizontal position and will not turn. That is why I am trying to remove the panel.

Thanks!

secondchance 10-13-2021 08:20 PM

Re: Need Help Getting Driver Side Door Panel Off

Not being able to acutually see how far you have gone, what I am saying you may have already done.
Once you pop off manual slider, behind the metal rod that slides front to back, may be a Phelps head screw that secures door latch trim to metal panel of the door.
Also, slide the metal rod that connects to manual lock to lock position and slide it up and out of door latch trim panel. It may be this rod keeping the trim and door panel from being free from the door.

secondchance 10-13-2021 08:25 PM

Re-reading your post, you need to pop plastic manual lock slider off from the metal rod behind the slider in order to access Phelps head screw.
Insert flat head screw driver under the plastic manual lock and push the screw driver handle towards the door. Leverage will pop off the plastic slider.

secondchance 10-13-2021 08:28 PM

As for the stuck key, can you position skinny straw attached to the WD 40 nozzle close to the key opening (although key is in the key hole) and squirt WD 40? After squirting WD 40, try moving the key in and out. Idea is to get the lubricant into door lock tumbler and try to free the key.

GOLDCYLON 10-13-2021 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondchance (Post 327803)
Re-reading your post, you need to pop plastic manual lock slider off from the metal rod behind the slider in order to access Phelps head screw.
Insert flat head screw driver under the plastic manual lock and push the screw driver handle towards the door. Leverage will pop off the plastic slider.

This is correct behind the door lock slider you will need to move the now bare lock rod that's the plastic slider was connected too either up or down to see the screw behind the bezel. If I remember right there is a screw behind the door lock light as well but it's been a while since I was in there. :cheers:

Also like the WD40 or Lithium grease squirt in the key hole idea to see it can be worked free turning left and right

-=Jeff=- 10-14-2021 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON (Post 327811)
This is correct behind the door lock slider you will need to move the now bare lock rod that's the plastic slider was connected too either up or down to see the screw behind the bezel. If I remember right there is a screw behind the door lock light as well but it's been a while since I was in there. :cheers:

Also like the WD40 or Lithium grease squirt in the key hole idea to see it can be worked free turning left and right

Yes one behind the light as well, in total 3 on the bezel:

- Behind Light
- Behind Slide lock
- Behind handle (that one is somewhat visible)

Paul Workman 10-14-2021 04:21 PM

FRESH from removing my panels, on the 91 there is a hex head screw under the window "up-down" switch - near the door handle. Pry the the square plastic flange plate (that surrounds the up/down switch) toward you, prying it from the FRONT side of the flange.

Note: The flange is held in place by a friction spring clip. Once you pry it out, the hex head screw is accessed right behind the up/down switch. To reinstall the switch, insert the flange at the rear end to the opening and pivot it down, pushing on the front edge and it will snap into place!

-=Jeff=- 10-14-2021 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Workman (Post 327823)
FRESH from removing my panels, on the 91 there is a hex head screw under the window "up-down" switch - near the door handle. Pry the the square plastic flange plate (that surrounds the up/down switch) toward you, prying it from the FRONT side of the flange.

Note: The flange is held in place by a friction spring clip. Once you pry it out, the hex head screw is accessed right behind the up/down switch. To reinstall the switch, insert the flange at the rear end to the opening and pivot it down, pushing on the front edge and it will snap into place!

That is the Passenger side.. the OP is working on the Driver side :cheers: