ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Brass vs. Plastic Headlight Motor Gears? (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15622)

SteelBlueZR1 09-12-2011 11:58 AM

Brass vs. Plastic Headlight Motor Gears?

My 1991 ZR1 with 4k miles p/s headlight is doing the wink thing and running after turned off... so it is time for new gears/bushings.

When replacing gears and bushings in headlight motor, what are the + and -'s of plastic vs. brass gears. What kit do you recommend for the 1991 ZR1, so this will be a lifetime fix?

rhipsher 09-12-2011 12:19 PM

Re: Brass vs. Plastic Headlight Motor Gears?

If its making the Ca Clunk Ca Clunk Ca Clunk Ca Clunk noise then its most likely that you just have to replace the 3 9/16 dia x .425 long plastic pieces that have crubled that sit inside th gear. You can pic them up at any auto parts store in the window regulator section for $9.00 a set. You should'nt have to replace the gears. But Id go with brass if I ever had to replace the gears.

ZZZZZR1 09-12-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhipsher (Post 123071)
If its making the Ca Clunk Ca Clunk Ca Clunk Ca Clunk noise then its most likely that you just have to replace the 3 9/16 dia x .425 long plastic pieces that have crubled that sit inside th gear. You can pic them up at any auto parts store in the window regulator section for $9.00 a set. You should'nt have to replace the gears. But Id go with brass if I ever had to replace the gears.

Tried a local auto parts and they hadnt a clue...

Any place you recommend and or a part number for the plastic bushings?

Thanks

David

VetteMed 09-12-2011 12:29 PM

I've been told that you can buy em in home depot/lowe's in the hardware aisle... never looked, I just bought mine on ebay for a few bucks.

rhipsher 09-12-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZZZZR1 (Post 123072)
Tried a local auto parts and they hadnt a clue...

Any place you recommend and or a part number for the plastic bushings?

Thanks

David

They are not going to know anything about it. Just go into Orielly's and walk back to the window regulator section and you will see them either in packs of three or two. They are 9/16 diameter round X about .425 long.

gbrtng 09-12-2011 01:32 PM

Any parts store with the HELP stuff has them. They come 3 pieces to a blister pack for about $7.00 - seem to remember they are called a part of a Ford pickup window regulator.
Solid white nylon rod like Mid America sells.

GOLDCYLON 09-12-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlueZR1 (Post 123070)
What kit do you recommend for the 1991 ZR1, so this will be a lifetime fix?

Brass/Bronze is a life time choice for your 91 ZR-1. The failure point is the Delran bushings. Available at Madvet or Ecklers. If you buy the brass gears the 3 bushings normally come with each gear in a kit. Also as stated the HELP section has the same bushings. GC

USAFPILOT 09-12-2011 03:03 PM

I bought the brass gear set wit the solid plastic bushings. They are hard as hell to press into the brass gear, but I got them in and am having no trouble. I have no idea how long they will last, time will tell. Brass is still a soft metal, so if it starts to slip I think it will grind down. The best bet is to change those plastic bushings at the first sign of wear. So if you ever hear it clicking before it becomes a one eye, change them.

Schrade 07-02-2013 04:39 PM

Article in vette magazine said go with plastic gears, not bronze.

You want the plastic gears to fail, instead of the motor. Article also said weight of bronze gear is a factor. I don't know better to argue with their experience...