ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 General Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   ZR-1 Door Mystery (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34140)

Absentninetimes 06-29-2022 10:08 AM

ZR-1 Door Mystery

I have a 91 ZR-1 with just under 9000 miles. The car has had at least one respray in its stock yellow color. I have noticed both doors and door hinges have some peeled yellow paint exposing red paint underneath.

I have had two mechanics look at the car (including Marc Haibeck) who state the car has no signs of frame damage or previous accident. No accidents reported on Carfax. Would seem unlikely to me that the car was in an accident and only had damage to the doors. I do think the car may be been stored outside for a period of time in Florida, though this is only a guess.

Does anyone have an idea why you would need to replace both doors and door hinges?

Kevin 06-29-2022 05:44 PM

Re: ZR-1 Door Mystery

not all damage shows up on carfax. could have been damage early in the cars life that wasn't reported. not saying that's what happened but it could be

Absentninetimes 06-29-2022 10:33 PM

I agree, but it seems odd that it's only the doors that were damaged but everything else appears to be original to the car. You would think the hood would have been replaced too.

G8nightman 06-29-2022 11:21 PM

Dealers sometimes would change things so the dumbest reasons many things could have happened

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

phrogs 06-30-2022 12:28 AM

Do you have a window sticker that says this came from the factory in yellow.
You said its been resprayed

Mikey 06-30-2022 12:55 AM

Doors are appendages on cars that are often opened outward and that?s the extremity furthest out into harms way. I can think of several instances I have witnessed in the past where the doors were hit because they were open at inopportune times.

jcruz 06-30-2022 04:55 AM

Just throwing out ideas...could the red you're seeing be a primer of some kind and not paint?

LGAFF 06-30-2022 07:21 AM

Does it have the factory stickers on the doors? I would take it to a body shop vs a mechanic.... two different types of expertise. check the bottoms of the doors for paint runs, drips...

WARP TEN 06-30-2022 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phrogs (Post 333756)
Do you have a window sticker that says this came from the factory in yellow.
You said its been resprayed

Like Phrogs, I am curious if Yellow is the color shown on the window sticker which, if you don't have one, is available from the National Corvette Museum. . --Bob

Z51JEFF 07-02-2022 06:15 PM

I would pull the door panels to confirm the red paint and start digging for answers.