ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   Mid-Atlantic Region (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Putting it back on the road (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23632)

Harvie 08-25-2014 11:15 AM

Putting it back on the road

I am the only owner of a highly modified 91 ZR1 that was placed in storage in 2001.

I am going thru and getting it ready to put back on the road and would like some input as what to do to service it before putting it back on the road.

I talked to one of the engine builders that built the stroker motor and am going to pump all old fuel out, remove fuel and oil filters, change and pressure out all the oil, pull the plugs, drain all collants, then start the parts replacements
new RC injectors
check/replace starter
all new hoses
plugs
filters
(tires)
battery
misc hoses in ww system
anything else?

This car has always been garage kept and stored in heated/AC. Lingenfelter, Calloway, and D Rippie all worked or supplied components and it is a pristine jewel.

I am going to be working on it near the U of MD College Park and would like to hire a person to help with its resurrection.

Any help is appreciated.

Scrrem 08-25-2014 01:06 PM

Re: Putting it back on the road

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvie (Post 210480)
I am the only owner of a highly modified 91 ZR1 that was placed in storage in 2001.

I am going thru and getting it ready to put back on the road and would like some input as what to do to service it before putting it back on the road.

I talked to one of the engine builders that built the stroker motor and am going to pump all old fuel out, remove fuel and oil filters, change and pressure out all the oil, pull the plugs, drain all collants, then start the parts replacements
new RC injectors
check/replace starter
all new hoses
plugs
filters
(tires)
battery
misc hoses in ww system
anything else?

This car has always been garage kept and stored in heated/AC. Lingenfelter, Calloway, and D Rippie all worked or supplied components and it is a pristine jewel.

I am going to be working on it near the U of MD College Park and would like to hire a person to help with its resurrection.

Any help is appreciated.

Well welcome!! Pumping out the fuel....After almost 14 years of it sitting, you should probably play it safe and drop the tank and have it flushed. Depending on how much fuel was in it, may need to replace the take if rust has developed and I would recommend a whole new fuel sending unit in the tank with new pumps. You should probably flush the brake system and change the transmission fluid as well.

I live in Alexandria and am currenly in the middle of my own LT5 stroker build, engine is going together now. I hope to be doing the engine swap sometime in Oct. I should have some free days that could come up and there to give you a hand. We have a pretty good group of ZR-1 owners in and around the DC/MD/VA area and gather often for maitenance days on our ZR-1's, so lots of help is available.
Rich

oricale 08-25-2014 03:02 PM

Hello, I PM'd You.

Harvie 08-25-2014 10:54 PM

Got the top off and am inventoring and ordering what is needed.

I forgot mention this engine was the big boy set up by J Lingenfelter/D Rippie with full plumbing for heavy oxy....

Talked to the Prez and we will be getting together real soon.

I have all factory service manuals and a complete GM parts book all the about 1000 pages.

I have a 91 short block engine spare on the floor that will be finding a new home soon, rebuild then bagged and stored. 2 bolt. 425HP

Have a spare set of used J lingenfelter 11:1 pistons and sleeves eng ran about 5 hrs and was torn down because of massively over sized ring gaps.

Have 2 spare sets of GSCs that would be great for NOS type show cars or trailer queens.

Have complete exhaust system from block to tail pipe tips that has 10 miles on them

Have a spare set of wheels centers painted Quazar Blue .

Have spare bell housing for 6 speed needing one helicore or time sert and I could time sert it/

I think I have 1-2 ZF 6speeds also, have to check

as for my exp playing with these cars:

I have large professional Miller tig ang mig welders and know how to use them...al ss steel

I also did fiberglass work for the GM factory before new cars were shipped to dealers (the ones damaged in transport or on storage lots) repaired before delivery.

I have built many engines with round combustion chambers but never fooled with a cosworth.

WB9MCW 08-26-2014 11:41 AM

"Any help is appreciated. "

You should review all the info DYNOMITE has posted on the ZR-1
Cliff has done many a ZR-1 and has a wonderful library on all of the things ZR-1

http://www.zr1.net/forum/member.php?u=2095

XfireZ51 08-26-2014 12:24 PM

When you say "highly modified" what exactly is that referring to?

Harvie 08-26-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WB9MCW (Post 210656)
"Any help is appreciated. "

You should review all the info DYNOMITE has posted on the ZR-1
Cliff has done many a ZR-1 and has a wonderful library on all of the things ZR-1

http://www.zr1.net/forum/member.php?u=2095

I have read just about everything ever written or printed about these modified cosworth engines. I have all printed GM materials and that info, plus more on site.

I meant "hands on" help..... because my Merc Marine friend who worked on them is no longer with us.

Harvie 08-26-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XfireZ51 (Post 210660)
When you say "highly modified" what exactly is that referring to?

Just about everything on the car, engine trans rear brakes suspension body wheels frame and few other misc mods

XfireZ51 08-26-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvie (Post 210663)
Just about everything on the car, engine trans rear brakes suspension body wheels frame and few other misc mods

Would you elaborate further? Heads, cams etc. And why do you refer to it as a
Cosworth when Lotus did the development and engineering w MM doing the assembly?

WB9MCW 08-26-2014 01:55 PM

"Why do you refer to it as a Cosworth when Lotus did the development and engineering w MM doing the assembly?"

That is a big confusing. Maybe an early proto engine could be called that but even that would be a stretch. No doubt the LT-5 owes its heritage to the Lotus DOHC designs.