ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Alternator question ! (PIC) Nut on back of alternator does not loosen ! (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24191)

5ABI VT 11-09-2014 05:56 PM

Alternator question ! (PIC) Nut on back of alternator does not loosen !

Tried loosening the but and heart a faint tick and the harness started to rotate with the nut. I marked the tip of the bolt and it's rotating with the nut.

Everything is right and secure so I can leave it but I'm thinking to sort it out now while it's all accessible.

Does the alternator need to come apart to fix this ? This is the nut..

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...psahw2eypg.jpg

Thanks on advance :)

Franke 11-09-2014 08:35 PM

Re: Alternator question ! (PIC) Nut on back of alternator does not loosen !

Yes. The head of that bolt is square inside the alternator. Looking at your pic I see a cracked through hole bolt insulator which will also need to be replaced so that you don't get a short from battery to ground. I bet that insulator cracked when the bolt spun. I would replace these parts as soon as possible.

GOLDCYLON 11-09-2014 08:59 PM

Yep your going to need to open it up as its spinning inside

5ABI VT 11-09-2014 09:02 PM

I would have to guess someone overtightened it before me. That's exactly how it was before I started. all I did was put a socket on and the bolt and socket both rotate so I cant loosen it.

Looks like Ill be getting a lesson on rebuilding alternators too :dancing

5ABI VT 11-09-2014 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON (Post 215515)
Yep your going to need to open it up as its spinning inside

Does it matter that everything is still tight the way it is? I was hoping to get to putting the plenum back together and now this.. :/

Basically I was loosening it because I was going to add wire to go to the battery plus another ground off the case to the battery. A car audio upgrade that pretty much only has benefits so I figured why not (big 3/4 upgrade)

BennieC. 11-09-2014 10:27 PM

Try to loosen it with a 3/8 impact gun if available.

Franke 11-09-2014 11:35 PM

I would say for peace of mind and safety sake that I would replace those parts especially that insulator. That insulator cannot be substituted for by anything else but the right one.

5ABI VT 11-10-2014 12:07 AM

Appreciate the Input. Didn't think much of the cracked plastic but I watched a few rebuild videos at work and didn't realize they sell every little piece for these. I'll be pulling it apart shortly when I get home and I'll look to replace that piece and do it right.

Is there a replacement alternator that is considered an upgrade to the original ? Not a fan of rebuilt alternators as they're sometimes hit or miss in my experience.

RICHARD TILL 11-10-2014 12:08 AM

I`d be concerned about the wire that is attached to the head of the bolt. Its actually a simple job to repair. Check you-tube on GM alternator rebuilding.

Z51JEFF 11-10-2014 12:24 AM

Hey Mike these are pretty easy to work on,the biggest challenge is getting the brush holder straightened out.There is a hole in the brush holder and this is what holds the brushes back while the armature goes back in the housing.Send me a P.M. and I can give you some tips.