ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Brake fluid vs. Power Steering fluid? (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29113)

Paul Workman 04-28-2018 07:40 AM

Brake fluid vs. Power Steering fluid?

Being far from a chemical guru, I defer to someone here who is.

The situation: My son's friend accidentally put DOT 3 hydraulic fluid into the power steering reservoir (85 Caprice). Upon near immediate discovery, the steering was purged and the proper GM P/S fluid was reinstalled - the car wasn't driven more than 10 miles after the discovered mix-up occurred.

Question: What harm, if any, would result from inadvertently using DOT3 in place of (GM) power steering fluid have - especially in the very short-term? Hydraulic fluid is hydraulic fluid, yes?:dontknow:

WVZR-1 04-28-2018 08:25 AM

Re: Brake fluid vs. Power Steering fluid?

I ain't no 'Guru' but I would expect very different seal composition for different fluid. Caught as quickly as you mention you could maybe be fine. As easy as a GM system with a box vs rack is to flush maybe a flush would be a 'to do'.

How long ago was it done? Days, weeks months.

How much was added to the system? A complete pint or a few ounces?

Paul Workman 04-28-2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 278362)
I ain't no 'Guru' but I would expect very different seal composition for different fluid. Caught as quickly as you mention you could maybe be fine. As easy as a GM system with a box vs rack is to flush maybe a flush would be a 'to do'.

How long ago was it done? Days, weeks months.

How much was added to the system? A complete pint or a few ounces?

Good questions - But, for the sake of discussion, let's assume it was just a few ounces (topping it off), and discovered almost immediately.

Here's the kicker... A "mechanic" (credentials unknown) recommended either getting rid of the car or doing a major P/S replacement. (The car was an 85 Caprice wagon in pristine condition - WELL maintained apparently. Know how rarely one sees one of these cars in any condition anymore - leave alone looking 'like new'?? So, when the car was sold to CAR MAX for $400:eek::nono:...I think someone got ripped off big time!

A26B 04-28-2018 12:30 PM

"Dilution is the solution to pollution" I would recommend a few follow-up drain & flush cycles ASAP. Small price to pay to avoid problems.

Paul Workman 05-09-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A26B (Post 278367)
"Dilution is the solution to pollution" I would recommend a few follow-up drain & flush cycles ASAP. Small price to pay to avoid problems.

Noted with thanks, Jerry.

It's water under the bridge now. But, the topic remains "open", should a source of actual experience or expertise like to chime in! :cheers:

mike100 05-09-2018 09:49 PM

Saginaw steering pumps are pretty durable outside of particulate contamination. Brake fluid is more like a glycerine...I wonder if it dissolved in solution or if it is more like water and oil.

If it is lighter than oil, then you could siphon it off the top of the pump reservoir real easy.

George Maz 05-09-2018 11:29 PM

No worries, brake fluid is glycol based, steering fluid is petroleum based. Had you put PS fluid in the brake master ...that would've been a bigger seal issue.
I'd consider a follow up flush as a precaution, making sure to drain pump and rack by moving the steering wheel full rotations. Disconnect lines as necessary to facilitate this, engine off.