ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Secondaries indicator? (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33019)

Matt B 05-17-2021 03:20 PM

Secondaries indicator?

Reading through Marc's tipps on how to keep the secondaries on running (in order to keep them clean) I was wondering if not an indicator light would be helpful to monitor secondaries operation and get a feeling when they come into play.

My simple idea is to hook up an LED light on either of the 4 wires coming from the ECM to the secondary relays. So whenever the ECM energizes the relays the light comes on. Would be interesting to see and learn when in everyday driving my secondaries are actually active (or not).

Could that work? Or is the ECM wiring to sensitive and might run into issues when an "unexpected" component is added, even though it's just a small LED?

jss06c6 05-17-2021 06:41 PM

Re: Secondaries indicator?

Easier to simply get a data scanning App and monitor the secondaries.. I use TunerPro RT, but I believe there are others that can be used like ALDL Droid...

Sent from my SM-G950U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

-=Jeff=- 05-18-2021 08:41 AM

While that will show when the computer commands them.. If the system has an issue and the mechanical aspect does not work, the computer will still show you they are 'open' when they are not

jss06c6 05-18-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- (Post 323398)
While that will show when the computer commands them.. If the system has an issue and the mechanical aspect does not work, the computer will still show you they are 'open' when they are not

Understood...

Sent from my SM-G950U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

-=Jeff=- 05-18-2021 12:51 PM

I do have an idea on how to add something that would show the mechanical side, just have not done anything yet

Jagdpanzer 05-18-2021 09:32 PM

Should be easy. Piggy back on the same circuit that energizes the secondary vacuum solenoid.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

-=Jeff=- 05-18-2021 09:38 PM

Let us know what you decide. I have a no touch sensor I want to use to detector the solenoids move although I bet a couple micro switches would work just as well

LGAFF 05-18-2021 09:42 PM

This was done already back in the 90s wasnt it ...by Mark Coplon?

-=Jeff=- 05-18-2021 09:57 PM

Yes but did he ever share what he did?

LGAFF 05-18-2021 10:04 PM

I think there was a write up somewhere, I bet Mr Haibeck would know, the lights were mounted on stems I thought that came out from under the hood area