ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Emissions Success!!! (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18034)

94Admiral 07-31-2012 08:43 PM

Emissions Success!!!

Just a plug for Marc Haibeck's new "emissions chip".

I have been on the edge the past several tests, but passed today with flying colors.

My '91 blew a:

34 ppm HC (53 ppm limit)
0.06% CO (0.28% limit)
323 ppm NOx (614 ppm limit)

all well under the Connecticut limits (and well under my previous tests). Hurray! 2 more years before sweating out the next test. Atmospheric conditions were 68F and 70% humidity.

For those who are wondering, the Haibeck 500 package on the '91 includes high flow cats, headers, ported intake and heads, aluminum flywheel. and a Haibeck custom chip. I also run 4.10 gears and a Corsa exhaust.

Not sure what the limits are in other states, but the chip worked great for the test in our wonderful, liberal-minded state.

Thanks again Marc - you are the best!!!

Socalerv 07-31-2012 09:15 PM

Re: Emissions Success!!!

Very good to hear as I purchased the chip a couple of months ago for this coming October.

scottfab 07-31-2012 10:06 PM

Very cool now you need to take it to the track and get your times.

tf95ZR1 07-31-2012 11:37 PM

Wow, that would have even worked here in CA!
Limits:
34 ppm HC
.46% CO
494 ppm NO

It is true, M H rocks!

94Admiral 08-01-2012 11:21 AM

Looks like the HC limit would be close for CA....

Marc makes a few recommendations that he sends along with his chip for balancing the HC versus NOx totals. Might be worth letting your NOx creep up a little in an effort to reduce your HC. Engine temp, fuel system cleaner, daytime temp, residual deposits, etc. all factor in to the results.

I was just happy it worked with minimal hassles. A chip swap is so simple.

I have to admit, I was thrilled to remove the emissions chip and put the other old Haibeck chip back in last night....runs like a scalded dog again (does not have the performance with the emissions chip, just in case anybody was wondeirng.....).

I agree, Marc rocks!!!

Kb7tif 08-01-2012 01:42 PM

Ol Marc Haibeck stating ahead of the curve

Paul in VA 08-01-2012 02:45 PM

WoW! I just sent Marc an email on this exact issue thos mroning. I am way low on my HC and CO but my NO is too high. I am hoping Marc can help as well.

Z51JEFF 08-02-2012 02:41 AM

I might have to hit him up in 2 years if Ca lowers the MAX Nos levels again.This past Jan I barely squeaked by.What we should do is everybody chip in-pun intended- to burn a smog chip and send it around the country to those that need to borrow it then send it to the next guy and so on.Illigal,maybe but Im not tellin;).My bone stock 91 at 18,000 miles failed twice before I had to take it to a smog referee.I know of at least 7 cars including mine that have failed and all were within spec before the state lowered the limits 18 months ago.

tomtom72 08-02-2012 07:11 AM

Great news Scott! Lou may want to borrow that chip when his car needs to be inspected.

I'm curious. Does CT just use a sniffer in the exhaust? NYS has gone over to that system and scrapped the roller test with the sniffer.

:cheers:
Tom

94Admiral 08-02-2012 09:12 AM

Tom -

They use dual sniffers in the tail exhaust on the rollers at 25 mph.

Scott