ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Motor mount swap questions (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15000)

VetteMed 06-21-2011 08:23 PM

Motor mount swap questions

I don't think too many folks have changed motor mounts on their Zs, but I have been wondering if the lack of clearance between the #1 header tube and the steering shaft is due to sagging mounts, being that my car has a lot of miles on it. Now, I should have changed the mounts when the headers were off, but I didn't -- so now I'm left with wondering if I'm going to need to pull the headers off in order to change out the mounts or not. Does anyone know if it's doable with the headers (Jeal) in place?

Edit:
It's not doable. Pulling the headers is really not that bad of a job, and it gave the access needed to do this job properly. See later in thread for pics of mounts and more commentary.

LGAFF 06-21-2011 08:55 PM

Re: Motor mount swap questions

Seems like it would easy to unbolt the mounts and jack up the engine with a thick board under the oil pan

VetteMed 06-21-2011 09:00 PM

Lee, that's what I was hoping for, I guess I just don't remember how much access there is to the upper bolts. Thanks.

LGAFF 06-21-2011 09:29 PM

Manual says both can be removed by jacking up engine...no header removal.

VetteMed 06-21-2011 09:31 PM

nice! I didn't think to check the FSM.

Thanks again Lee!
-Andrew

LGAFF 06-21-2011 09:33 PM

have to take that back...that was L98....LT-5 says exhaust manifold comes off for both sides

VetteMed 06-21-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGAFF (Post 117423)
have to take that back...that was L98....LT-5 says exhaust manifold comes off for both sides

Well, that's typical for the way things have gone lately... oh well.

LGAFF 06-21-2011 09:39 PM

headers might be a different story, a lot more room in there

VetteMed 06-21-2011 09:51 PM

Yeah, I just looked at the driver's side, might be doable. Can't tell on the passenger side just from looking from above. Might take some creative use of extensions and wrenches.

A26B 06-22-2011 01:52 AM

Don't forget the C-beam is attached, making the whole driveline one rigid unit. Jacking up the engine with the c-beam still secured could damage the c-beam or trans. When I tried jacking the engine with all attached, it acted like the motor mounts were still bolted to the frame. I suggest removing the c-beam before trying to jack the engine up. Does the service manual mention anything about that?