ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

ZR-1 Net Registry Forums (http://zr1.net/forum/index.php)
-   C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings (http://zr1.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   ECM H31 code... momentary glitch or something on the horizon? (http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31882)

billschroeder5842 06-22-2020 10:25 PM

ECM H31 code... momentary glitch or something on the horizon?

I was out today and parked to run into the store. When I restarted my 91 I got a "service engine soon." I drove for about 100 yards, turned it off and restarted and the DIC was clear. I drove home with no other issues.

I got home and pulled the codes. The car was clear except for the ECM module with a H31 meaning a "history" code for a cam sensor signal problem.

The car has been running great with no problems and I know that sometime sensors have "moments" and can throw an intermittent code then "return to normal." But (for those with experience) is this a sign of a future problem, should I inspect and/or begin looking for a cam sensor?

Thanks!

billschroeder5842 06-23-2020 05:07 PM

Re: ECM H31 code... momentary glitch or something on the horizon?

I had a couple of on/off cycles today- no lights. I also ran the diagnostics again and nothing popped up.

I think it was a momentary LOS (loss of Sh*t)

jss06c6 06-25-2020 09:19 AM

Bill,

Just watch for a while. If it recurs, might be starting to see signs of an aging cam position sensor or the weather pack connector may have an intermittent connection on the pigtail.

Steve

Sent from my SM-G950U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

billschroeder5842 06-25-2020 02:14 PM

Thanks Steve- will do

Young1 06-25-2020 07:38 PM

My experience was intermittent codes then intermittent stop running when idling at a stoplight. Then I started looking for one to no avail until Phil re invented the cam sensor.

billschroeder5842 06-25-2020 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young1 (Post 310723)
Then I started looking for one to no avail until Phil re invented the cam sensor.

Can you please expand on that one?

Young1 06-26-2020 04:38 PM

Phil Wasinger is a brilliant engineer and I am using the prototype of camshaft sensor he developed 3 years ago. OEM or aftermarket ones are no longer manufactured. Do a search on this subject. There are a few threads.

My LT5 would just stop running. It would start right up again but I lost confidence on any trips out of town. Since replacement no problems.

billschroeder5842 06-27-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young1 (Post 310753)
Phil Wasinger is a brilliant engineer and I am using the prototype of camshaft sensor he developed 3 years ago.

Thanks Steve-- I reached out to Phil.

Poussin 11-11-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young1 (Post 310753)
Phil Wasinger is a brilliant engineer and I am using the prototype of camshaft sensor he developed 3 years ago. OEM or aftermarket ones are no longer manufactured. Do a search on this subject. There are a few threads.

My LT5 would just stop running. It would start right up again but I lost confidence on any trips out of town. Since replacement no problems.

How can we contact Phil to buy sensor? I have same problem with my 90', engine stops, H31 code....

thank's