View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012   #2
tomtom72

Default Re: Remove Hose: Thermostat Housing to Radiator

I use my T-stat housing as my drain point when I service my cooling system every two yrs, and I have yet to find a way to get that short hose off without splitting the stat housing...okay I could cut the hose but that's extreme.

I don't think there is a way to get the hose off intact without splitting the housing. Just be aware that the reinstall steps are exactly the reverse of the removal process. I'm not trying to be a wise guy either.

loosen hose clamps because you want the rad out, then :
1.) remove the two bolts that mount the right half of the stat housing to the frame. The rearward bolt is above the swaybar mount(?) so a swivel 13mm is most helpful, the fwd bolt is in plain sight. I know something is in the way
2) the left side of the stat housing is mounted to the cross member that carries the rack(?) and need not be disturbed unless you have a lift.
3) There are three bolts ( 13mm ?) that hold the halves of the stat housing together. The top bolts hold the housing to the mount bracket so now you know why you have to do the frame bolts first. Remove all. Now you can get the stat housing half from the hose and pull the hose off the rad.

Install: you could try to mount the bracket back on the frame first, I would suggest please don't do that. Put the short rad hose on w/clamps but don't tighten the clamps or put the clamps on either nipple. Once the short hose is on both the rad & the stat half, put the T-stat back in place and put the two halves together with the bracket in place on the right half of the stat housing & tighten those bolts up. Make sure the rear part of the frame bracket is up & over the sway bar mount(?). Then put the frame bolts back in & tight the bracket down. Position the hose clamps and then tighten them and that's it.

A note about the bolt bosses in the stat housing. They are not blind holes, they are threaded all the way out the back sides of the left half of the housing. The reason for doing the frame bolts last, and or removing the bracket from the frame first is so that there is no stress caused miss-alignment of the bolts that hold the two halves together. JMHO, but it's easier to work with the right half of the housing than reach over to get the left half's mounting bolt. If you have a lift that is probably a moot point. I work on the ground so this works for me. If you do have alignment issues and strip out the first few threads no big deal. Just get the right half out of the way and do a re-tap of the hole(s) and you could get longer bolts at the auto parts store in the help section if needs be. Usually the stripping issue never comes up unless you try to leave the frame bracket on the frame. Ask me how I know!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote