View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013   #6
mgg

Default Re: ZR-1 set up for autocross

Even though I own ZR-1 I would suggest that athough competent you are already at a disadvantage when it comes to auto-xing. Compared to a well prepared C4 you are looking at significantly more weight on the front tires and more car to slow down. The one advantage of the ZR-1 would be on a very slow course that an L98 would have to use second gear you might get away with only using first with standard gearing and have an advantage with less shifts. Now before everyone who owns a ZR-1 has a cow with what I am saying, The car is certainly capable and VERY much fun to drive in an autox. The problem is when you start to mod the car to help control its weakness it may throw you into a higher class that will make it very difficult to win ( based on whos in your class). I competed in autoxing with prepared L98 car from 1991 through 2000. I attended countless autoxes many at national levels and I NEVER witnessed a ZR-1 that was contending for FTD. They are NOT slow but are heavy and the lack of low end torques in an auotx can be problematic. YOU can certainley have fun, be competitive but I think it unrealistic with a stock car that you will win if thats what your goal is. If you just want to have a good time. it will be a blast! As far as track days is concerned you nedd to address possible cooling issues. Also a front brake upgrade would be in order. I would suggest for the money , the Rippie sold Wilwood GNs. six piston. THe coleman rotors can be purchased very inexpensively compared to others. THis package is nothing at all like the 6 piston superlights. This is a SERIOUS race brake package. Using PFC 01s this brake package is fantastic especially for the money. Your C5 Z06 in the hands of great drivers dominated super stock in SCCA and won national championships many years in a row. Also a set of "A" compound hoosiers now are going for about $1500.00. Wow! I love my ZR-1 and it would be fun to autox it but if you are thinking about bringing home trophies I think you need to be realistic. I will say that I have driven many C5 Z06s and many C4 corvettes and there is something special about the LT5 and I love it. THe history and the significance of these cars make it one othe MOST important corvettes in the history of the car. I hope you enjoy one if you purchase it half as much as I enjoy mine.
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote