View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013   #43
rkreigh

Default Re: So...How much does it cost to build a 380 cube ZR1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
Awesome info Hopefully Ill be treading down this path in the relatively near future.

What options are there for cams? are custom grinds available? Im tempted to want to do something like my LT4 build.. all lightweight, maxilite rods, hollow valves , solid roller etc.

Im thinking offset grind, longer rod, aggressive cams, hollow valves, solid lifter setup and rpm it a bit more for more hp. Not sure how the lifter setup is on the LT5. The s54 in my e46 M3 had a rocker setup that was easy to maintain lash with via swapping shims.

search for some posts from "fastlane" on his monster 421 car with deck plates and solid lifter cams. car did 900 hp "the hard way" with a custom intake and max ported heads at 9000 rpms. he had to pull the heads and change the chains often. adjusting the solid cams requires pulling the engine so it's not for the "faint of heart" to go this direction.

keep in mind one thing, the stock heads "run out of breath" and don't flow enough for max HP at very high rpms. even with solid porting, 7500 is a pretty agressive power peak and the hyd lifters can go to 8k. the chains are suspect at that rpm

solid lifters are major hassle and the rest of the build needs to be "max effort" to make it even remotely possible. then you need to be committed to frequent engine pulls to maintain the adjustment.

I'd be curious to see how long the adjustment would hold. like to see a solid cam motor that could do 50k between tune ups and valve shim adjustments but I honestly don't know if that is feasible.

not too many folks other than fastlane have gone the solid cam route in the LT5 as it's difficult. but it sure would be cool to see an 9k monster!!!

good luck on the build if you decide to do it. I think if you study fastlanes setup you'll learn alot. he did "deck plates" and stretched liners to get a better rod angle (long rods) used a big bore and relatively short stroke, and of course the custom chains he had made up for th longer deck height

as I remember his deck plates were HUGE and something like .4 thick (don't remember the exact thickness)

like to see where that car is now. it's no longer with Fastlane.

Mr. Lane Goldstein anyone hear from him lately? he is an amazing gent to be sure!
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote