View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013   #49
rkreigh

Default Re: So...How much does it cost to build a 380 cube ZR1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Good topic.

I've got the porting pretty much done on mine as part of my FBI package. So, the topic of a sleeve/off-set with some of Pete's cams...is serious temptation!

However, giving up the Nikasil gives me pause, and I wonder if one is going to do that, then maybe going "whole hog" (AES/closed deck/ stoker) is the better route (for me). And too, part of the reason for pause is Pete's 5.7 often rubs shoulders with motors having over two quarts more displacement and over $10 large more invested: get what is still on the table with the 5.7...I guess is my point. (Then again, Pete probably has $10 large spent on CAM BOLTS by now too! )
I hear you. the stock bottom end is very strong even with the mahle pistons. problem is the rings in that size (stock LT5) cost stupid money. marc was looking for a source but but the time you get a custom piston in the stock bore size and pay for LT5 rings that are made out of unobtanium you can afford the liners and more common 4" bore size.

sooooo.... here's what you do. whip out the old check book and have the AES liners nikasil coated! you'll need to get the correct piston rings but end the end you'll have a super durable low friction finish

problem is the nikasil coat job is likely north of 2k!!!

I thought about doing this too after seeing so many LT5 liners after tear down and replacement. they all look NEW. it's amazing stuff to be sure.

also like to hear more about the plasma coating that ford uses on their new blocks. they spray it on the bear alum block and viola!! a linerless block that runs the numbers.

say what you want about ford, but fron an engineering standpoint they are doing some pretty advanced stuff and are the "brother from another mother" to the DOHC v8s.

chevy needs to get off their dead @$$ and do another LT5 with modern tech. they are too hung up on putting truck motors in the corvette

while I'm impressed with 455-460 hp out of the new LT1. the MY 95 put out a conservative 475 hp in 1995~!! come on guys, the new vette needs 500+ to show the world what we can do.

I guess I'm a HP junkie. anything less than 500 at the tire is "insufficient"
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote