View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014   #33
scottfab

Default Re: 368 LT5 Drinking oil

As you mention in the original post your oil light came on so I agree, it's smoke from oil. What you did not mention (or maybe you implied it) is that the oil comes from both sides? If it does not have a crossover or H pipe and smoke is from both sides then you'd be burning oil on both sides. If it's a burnt valve then there are burnt valves on both sides. (less likely) If the oil burning is due to lack of valve guide seals then it would come from both sides.

FWIW
I know for sure what is in my engine.
I have an almost bone stock 90 with >90k on it. It has no valve seals. It burns a bit of oil at each WOT. It burns hell of a lot more on the track when I use the wrong oil. (1qt of 0w30 in 20mi). It burns more when I inadvertently overfill it. (don't let the oil settle)
When I let it sit overnight and top it off it burns about 1qt per tank full with lots of WOT.

Now here is the interesting part.
When I use a 20% mix of 10w40
AND
only fill the oil to the bottom of the dip stick line I get very little oil burn.

Just food for thought.
Hope your wife's fall was not serious. We're all pulling for ya.
We all have weeks like that.

PS unrelated but 3sec between secondary pump cycles is not good. That is too much leak down. When you're below 10sec cycling then you're on the slippery slope toward 1sec cycles and failure of the secondary to hold in.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote