View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014   #1
Dynomite

Default ZR-1 Towing Adapter

I have started this as a new thread to separate Standard ZR-1 Towing using a Commercial Tow Truck/Carrier and commercial attachments (often jury rigged for the ZR-1) and Towing by another vehicle short distances (not cross country) using your own Tow Adapter.

For simplicity of discussion lets keep this thread focused on the Tow Adapter cited here only.

Towing the ZR-1.

Before I get to Towing the ZR-1....lets talk No Start. With this adapter as long as you can maneuver a vehicle in front of the ZR-1 No Starts are history. Just attach nylon rope to Tow Adapter and with Key ON in Second Gear with just a little pull....POP the Clutch....You Are OFF and RUNNING.

Emergency Kit.....15 ft tow rope (5,000 lb vehicle rating), Jumper Cables, Tow Adapter, Lug Wrench

Daniel_Mc provided a concept/photo of a Tow Adapter for a ZR-1 that in its simplicity I just could not pass up
So......I designed one after the photo provided by Daniel_Mc and had a local steel shop fabricate the Tow Adapter.
I did some towing tests to see if there are any issues or limitations. One limitation will be towing at an angle in a turn which this adapter without being bolted on the back side of the cross member will not function (that did not seem to be an issue during the tow tests). The Tow Adapter is made from 1/8 inch steel plate which is substantial and flexible enough to tow the ZR-1 with Nylon Tow Ropes having a steel hook on one end.

The Tow Adapter is made to engage the 1-1/4 inch square tubing of the frame support under the front of the ZR-1.

See Lifting and Towing the ZR-1

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-28-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote