View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014   #110
Hog

Default Re: Which brand of street tires are you running on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cam View Post
My Nitto 315s are approximately 12.5" sidewall to sidewall, which is also a decent approximation of the dynamic loaded contact patch - the shoulders are rounded for a reason. For these tires the static unloaded contact patch is right at 11" but that really means nothing other than a "look" and for a road/performance tire, they look right. A drag tire will be more square shouldered and will look like more on the ground (but it really isn't). No matter what kind of performance you're looking for, static contact patch doesn't really mean anything.

Hell, 315s are ENORMOUS compared to just about anything out there already! Certainly the widest tire I've ever had on any car, and that's more than 40 different cars. These tires are freakin big.
I think what some of the guys are referring to is the fact that not all 315/35/17 tires have the same actual measurements.
The static treadwidth measurement of one manufacturer may be differnt than another manufactureres even though they both say 315/35/17 on the tires sidewall.

These 17x11 315/35/17's on the 3" wider ZR-1 rearend, sure do make these cars look sexy. The only wider tires of the same generation were the Viper's 335/35/17 with a 17x13" rim on the rear for a 95 Viper. I remember placing my outstretched fingertips on the inner edge of a Viper tire, and the outer tire lip reached my elbow. The $100,000 price tag was even bigger though lol.
Those cars have nothing on a LT5 powered ZR-1 IMO.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote