View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014   #56
USAZR1

Default Re: 4.10 gears...not what I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
I don't believe that's the case . It pulls harder to redline but you're shifting faster and the speed at which gear tops out at is much less. What I'm trying to say is assuming the stock geared car is in 2nd and the 4.10 car is in 3rd.. How is the 4.10 car accelerating harder ?

Final drive in 2nd gear with stock gears is : 1.8x3.45 =6.21
Final drive in 3rd gear with 410 gears is : 1.29x4.10 = 5.28

Speed for stock gear car is 60 mph and 4900 rpms. If you ask me that's right in the sweet spot

Speed for the 4.10 car at 60 mph is 5800 rpms in 2nd and if using second it has a more favorable final drive for the split second it takes to hit the limiter and then will lose that momentum in the shift to 3rd where the final drive favors the stock geared car again. At 74 mph in 3rd (assuming shift at 7200) the 4.10 car will be at a lower final drive than the stock geared car until the stock geared car needs to shift at 90 mph at which point the advantage goes back to the 4.10 car.

Confusing but it's back and forth depending on who's in the sweet spot if were talking roll on races . The only advantage in final drive a 4.10 car has is 1st gear because that is the lowest gear that is possible to use. If a 4.10 car has slicks and dumps at 7200 and hooks and launches a full 2 car lengths ahead.. It will maintain that because after first gear and shifting into second the final drive advantage goes back to the stock rear car that is still in 1st. And so it goes back and forth .. Get it ? THAT is why gears show a e.t difference but no difference in mph.

So my conclusion is .. 4.10 gears are great for a 1 gear advantage only. Off the line if you can hook. That's it.

The most common mistake I see people do is compare the SAME gear roll ons from a rear gear swap vs stock. That's not really fair to do because the speeds and ranges of the gears has now changed somewhat . In many cases the stock gear car should be in a lower gear where the final drive may be in it's favor for a brief period and pass it back and forth.
Michael,I said "all else being equal",did I not? How is one car being in 3rd gear and one in 4th, equal? Try a roll-on with both cars in the same gear,especially in 3rd gear or higher as that will take tire spin out of the equation,and get back to me.

Reading your last paragraph made me chuckle. How is all else equal not being fair?

You don't believe it to be the case? I have done 3rd,4th,and 5th gear roll-ons against other ZR-1's and did find it to be the case.

18% increase in torque doesn't lie,does it?
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody

Last edited by USAZR1; 05-24-2014 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote