View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014   #59
USAZR1

Default Re: 4.10 gears...not what I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Well, 18% torque increase for any rpm is correct, but it is a bit simplistic: The torque curve is not flat across the rpm range, and speed at the top of every gear is going to be 18% less for any give rpm. The combination of rising and falling torque curves over rpm and the fact of some loss in speed/time for each shift apparently tends to mitigate a substantial amount of the advantage of the 4.10s for the ZR-1 in the 1/4 mile - or so it seems from observation.

And, to Dom's point, Those that ran the 1/2 mile drags in Monee last year, the 3.45 geared cars really featured the LT5's strong suit - faring much better at 140+ mph in 4th than that reported by the 4.10 guys - having to shift to 5th and experiencing the cars acceleration "dive" when they did so.

What is starting to emerge, sans any formal analysis here so far, is the 4.10s may not be big enough for either the 1/4 or even the 1/2 mile contest to make a clear, indisputable advantage over the stock 3.45 "cog", but only in part due to the extra shift. In both cases ending in 4th in the "quarter" or 5th in the 1/2, the LT5 is not at peak power. So, less than peak power in the trap PLUS the extra shift eats up most of the torque advantage of the 4.10 in either contest: just NOT quite enough gear. Something like a 4.3:1 gear might fix that, me thinks.

I like 5ABI VT's description of the "back and forth" advantage when comparing the two (3.45 vs. the4.10) in the quarter mile contest (and perhaps the 1/2 mile too). Not so clearly cut and dried as comparing gear ratios alone would suggest.

Interesting discussion.
I agree that is overly simplistic,Paul. Nothing is ever cut & dried. Just having fun with Michael. He's a good poster and has interesting opinions.

I also agree that 4.10's would not be my first choice for 1/2 mile drags or especially full mile runs. With those new racing venues,4.10's aren't as big a deal as they used to be when I owned my first two ZR-1's over ten years ago.
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote