View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014   #81
Bob Eyres

Default Re: 4.10 gears...not what I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
4:10's might make 6th gear useful but I wonder if I would run out of RPM's before reaching top speed with them.
I'm with Pete on this one. If I had $1,500 to burn on performance mods I go with the ones that are actually going to create more HP. Because more HP is just more. And with 3.45 your going to see gains in every way. Launch and top end. Id rather have the overall increase than one or the other.
According to Paul's gear charts the 4.10's give you 174.29@7,000 and 186.74@7,500. So you'd have to raise your rev limiter a bit, but you could get up there with 4.10's.

And as far as getting a better launch with more power, but stock gears, and the same tires....good luck.

Just what can you do on a ZR-1 for $1,500.00 that can give you the performance increase of 4.10 gears? Headers is the only thing I can think of, and that's only if you say good-bye to emissions compliance.

I bow down to Pete for his efforts to find the outer limits of the stock block ZR-1. Somebody's got to do it, and he's done a phenomenal job. The goal is to get into the tens with a stock block 350, and he's knocking on the door. But one look at his great 60ft. times with the 4.10's tells me that the right gear is the answer. My guess is that 4.30's or 4.56's and the right tire would get him there, because then he's using all the revs available. Running a three speed ZR-1 is like trying to do it with your hands tied.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote