View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014   #103
Hog

Default Re: 4.10 gears...not what I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAZR1 View Post
If all else is equal,both LT5's make the same power or very close to it.
So,their trap speeds should be very close to the same. Only way that would be lower is if the engine is running out of breath at the lights.
As Bob said,only the ET matters in drag racing. MPH is just a by-product though it is a honest indicator of how much horsepower you're putting down.
Yes, all else equal means that the cars are assumed to have identical variables, including having the exact same engine power output. The only variable being rear dif. gearing.

"Only way that would be lower is if the engine is running out of breath at the lights."
This makes 100% sense. I believe this to be the case in my setup, in going from a 3.08 to a 4.10 gear has had me trapping at an rpm that is beyond my power peak, where power is dropping off fast. Thanks for explaining.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yes, ET is what matters in drag racing. If I cut a 2.0 60ft on pass #1 and trap a 12.0@100mph. Then on run #2 I lose traction off the line and run a 2.5 60ft time, I could theoretically run a considerably worse ET such as 13.0 seconds, yet still run the same MPH.

It could be argued that in drag racing, ET is as irrelevant as MPH because of the fact that having the quicker ET doesnt necessarily mean you will win the drag race.
ET is of course the most common method of comparing a cars acceleration. If all variables are the same, MPH is an accurate fashion in which to compare engine power.

Thank you !

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote