Thread: Clutch :-(
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014   #30
c4koh

Default Re: Clutch :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIZNHRZ View Post
Seem like a lot of this going around:

... less than a handful of 7K RPM shifts on a brand new Carolina Clutch kit and BOOM! ...
That picture looks like the Stage 1 / Stock (which is what I had) from Carolina Clutch - correct??

Tom @ CC explained that my original dual mass flywheel may not have been damping well enough, due to age and wear, which on a high-rev shift basically can put far too much through the clutch disk, and as can be seen it's a very thin piece of backing plate, and there's no spring dampening any chatter, so I can imagine that it's fairly sensitive... From my "simple" point of view, that Stage 1 clutch seems fairly brittle without any dampening springs... does that make sense?

Given the high revving and high mass of that original DM flywheel, it's done a lot of work over its 61,000 miles and 22 years of service... so if that internal dampening isn't working as well (not that I could hear / feel any issue), perhaps there was just too much deviation from spec, passing too much on to the clutch disk, and boom...

Good to at least write down potential causes for the failure - if anything I've learned poring through the forums, the more we write the better and more useful it is!

So - moral of this story is probably replace that original dual mass flywheel if car is 22 years old & 61K original miles while doing the clutch! Of course, it can be replaced by a new DM flywheel (expensive, and 35-36lb or so), a steel single mass (24lb or so) or lightweight single mass (14-15lb or so)...

And now in hindsight, lots of folks (not just on Corvette sites) discuss changing a dual mass flywheel in tandem with a clutch... hmmmm... perhaps every second change... I wonder....

Anyway, for me, I didn't replace the flywheel through reliance on past experience... on my prior 91 ZR1, I replaced the clutch with a LUK 04-114 in 2004, being then a 13 year old vehicle and 45K miles at that time... had no problems with that setup with the original flywheel remaining... so, I thought, I'd be fine with the same (clutch kit only - retain original flywheel) for my 92...

Anyway, live and learn ...

Last edited by c4koh; 09-16-2014 at 10:47 PM.
c4koh is offline   Reply With Quote