View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014   #133
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Headers Installation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
So overall how hard of install of the headers is this? It sounds like some of the issues were from the size of the automatic transmission you have. Is that correct?

How long would an install take? Any special tools required?
Butting in here, I found the most time consuming PIA was getting the stock heat shields off. Once those little bastards were off, the removal of the stock exhausts and the installation of the (SW) headers was simple.

I moved the O2 sensor bungs to the lateral side of the header collector on the new headers. This makes the installation/removal of those sensors a cinch. This makes installing wideband sensors (e.g., at the dyno shop) a snap - you don't even need to jack up the car to get to them later (i.e, tuning). It required me to splice an extension to the O2 wire harness, and then wrapping the leads with heat shield sleeves before tucking them out of the way.
Note: If I can get air going over a berm and come crashing down on moist clay at 60 mph and NOT rip the O2s off the headers, I'd say they're safe from most anything you might run over, save a deer or the like!

I don't know what Schrade is talking about when he mentions "Pulling the frame - to - hood support brackets really made it easy." Have to ask him for clarification, but the hood "bracket" (aka hinge?) is not involved. (I must not be understanding something.?)

I wanna say it took me 6 hours to get the stock heat shields and manifolds off. But, the new headers were in place and buttoned up within an hour, IIRC.

You will have to fashion a dipstick bracket once the headers are on. I can make one for you and send it, if you'd like. Just one little PIA not to worry about. (PM me for details).

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 09-22-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote