View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014   #21
8cam

Default Re: missing/rough running

Work has meant I have not been able to get into the garage and really dig into the problem, luckily I have another car to drive. I finally got some time this afternoon (what a gorgeous fall day here) and pulled the plenum for the first time, took about an hour.

Do I get some kind of scout badge for this right of passage?

So yeah, it's dirty. I verified that all the plug wires are right around 11-12k ohms, way under the FSM's 30k limit, so they are fine. There's no doubt the coils are original, 24 years old with almost 50k on them. The 5/8 coil has a crack in the body, and those were the two showing the strongest spark!

In any case, I've read you can't really "test" a coil without a very expensive piece of equipment, but is there a decent indicator? The 4/7 coil ohms out to 5.35k and is the lowest by a decent margin. The others are right around 5.7k.

I also found a split intake manifold gasket and a bad/oily MAP sensor tube, so those will also be replaced. Jerry is getting a call.

'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote