View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015   #22
Meanmyz

Default Re: Point/Counterpoint: DOHC v OHV

I don't really have time write, but will punch this out now anyhow...

I just got back from Arnold, Nebraska on Sunday night. This is the area where the Sand Hills Open Road Challenge was held as well as the Loup to Loup road race. They also had half mile and one mile shootouts.

The winner of the one mile was a modified 2004 Lamborghini putting out 2000 HP. It ran a best of 228 mph through the mile. ...that is another story.

There were three ZR-1's running. They were all modified 350's and I am not sure to which degree. One '90 ZR-1 had Marc's 350/510 package...his actually said 350/515. I believe his one mile run was at 160 mph... that was on older Borla mufflers. The others averaged around 157 mph.

There were three new C7 Z06's there with very experience drivers. A friend of mine had one of them and it has the Z07 package. He had removed the rear wicker extensions from his spoiler.

His car was the fastest of the new Z06's. What did he run??? He was around 165 mph through the mile! He was only five miles per hour faster than the fastest ZR-1!

The stock C6 ZR1's ran faster than the new Z06's.

That is not a put down to the Z06, but there are some issues out there yet for the new car. The Z06 drivers said their car fell flat when hitting fifth gear.

Is this all the aero/down force bits on the car??? Or is this a tuning, supercharger heat issue? I don't know.

One poster here seems down on our "old" ZR-1's. Yes, we are not in a vacuum, but don't cut the ol' LT5 short!

When building the LT5, Chevrolet didn't reverse engineer every part to the cheapest price per widget before failure. They went with world class suppliers on a "we are going to show the world" basis that had the bean counters screaming.

I like the new Corvettes. I like old Corvettes. But, don't deny it... The old ZR-1's are a special breed. Our LT5's don't drop valves. Another friend is scared when his C6 Z06 warranty will go off. Is he going overboard? Maybe. But in the end, I am proud of my LT5!

Last edited by Meanmyz; 08-12-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Meanmyz is offline   Reply With Quote