View Single Post
Old 11-28-2015   #15
efnfast

Default Re: Clutch recommendations

I bought a used Fidanza and had it resurfaced.
I was informed that the Ram stuff would work with the Fidanza.
I figured while doing the flywheel, better so the disc and pressure plate.
I liked the idea of the push release instead of the ball and fork.
I ordered from Jerry the PP, disc, hydraulic release and associated hardware.
During install we found the flywheel would not work with the Ram PP. Of course the mechanic doesn't just look at it and go "wrong one". Takes time and phone calls to both Ram and Jerry to figure out whats up.
I ordered a Ram flywheel.
The hydraulic release comes with 2 (I think) shims and very specific instructions on install tolerance.
The shims didn't fit on the input shaft. After many phone calls we (my mechanic) was instructed to ream them out with a die grinder so they would have a bigger I.D. and fit the shaft.
The shims provided would not get us to the correct tolerances. Ram sent more, also needed to be reamed out.
Now, we can't get their tolerance correct, 3 is not enough, 4 is too many.
Ram approves the tolerances and we move on.
Keep in mind, all of this stuff just sucks up time.
After install, and a test drive, we have a leak in the release bearing.
After tearing it all apart again, the pressure plate has rubbed a hole in the hydraulic lines.
Ram SELLS us 2 45 degree fitting to keep the lines out of harms way.
Both Jerry and Ram have been very involved to this point.
I should add we also installed a Hurst short throw. Which I love, except it vibrates and I have to keep my hand on it.
My mechanic had to fabricate a bracket to hold the lines up on the outside of the tranny because he wasn't happy with the way they were suspended. Ram should look into this.
I currently have 1809 miles on the set up.
The clutch is slipping. Although, it seems only in third gear, but that must just be my imagination, or where I push it the hardest.
Now that its done, when I first tried to get a hold of Ram, they were very hard to get a hold of. It took repeated phone calls and e-mails.
Jerry has been amazingly silent.
Ram has suggested a dual disc, even thought the single is suppose to be good for 700 hp. (I only wish over powering the clutch were the problem.).
I told Ram if it came out, it was staying out.
I'm sure there is more, but that's enough for now.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote