View Single Post
Old 06-28-2016   #39
spork2367

Default Re: Prices and Valuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
Lol…ok. You're right. Enjoy your study of BJ and eBay sales.
A response like this tells me that your opinion is based solely on your buddy at one dealership, which is hardly a reasonable sample size. If you have something more than that, feel free to share. I'm genuinely interested.

10 years ago the majority of ZR1 owners probably did buy their cars from dealerships where first owners traded in or dumped the cars when they realized they were only depreciating. The market is completely different now. Despite how stupid you think it is, and how stupid I think it is, TV auctions, eBay, TV shows and and other media sources absolutely drive the prices on many if not most collectors cars. As someone pointed out earlier, those two ridiculous Firebird TAs sold for what they did due to those idiots at gas monkey garage. Look at Hemi Cudas vs. most other hemi cars. Magnus Walker has had a huge influence on 911 prices. I hate that one person can affect an entire market, but in the technology and social media driven society we now live in, that happens every single day.

Do you believe that every BJ and Mecum auction and every eBay sale is an exception out of fear that the car isn't going to be well sorted? Why is it that every one of those sources is showing the same trend while your buddies dealership seems to be the one exception? Maybe he is the exception and not the norm. If 20k is such a smoking deal, by your own statements of what your buddy is selling them for, and the big difference in buying a car at a dealership is because the buyer "knows" it's sorted out and right, shouldn't a low mileage car that's sorted for 25k on the premier forum for ZR1 enthusiasts sell immediately....because it hasn't. Also note that the 11,400 mile black car on eBay is also on here....unsold.

I understand what you're saying about dealerships, buyers, confidence levels, etc., but I believe that was the 10 year ago market, not today's market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
Try and keep in mind here your argu, in a discussion here with people that might know the market just a liiiiiiiitle bit better than you do.
I was hoping for some insight and different opinions, but I was looking for some evidence and empirical data to go with that. There are tens of thousands of people who own collector cars but don't know what the market is doing. Saying that one dealership is selling a handful of them for 30-40k isn't really going to convince me that's where the market is at when I've seen 70-100 examples that don't show that at all. It's statistically unlikely that there are 70-100 coincidences and only a handful of cars that represent the "real" market value.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote