View Single Post
Old 10-23-2016   #15
Dynomite

Default Re: Cooling Question

I see no difference between a 160 deg F thermostat and a 180 deg thermostat (both with the same Full Open Head Loss) once the coolant temperature has reached 190 deg F? I know the 190 deg F will be reached slower with a 160 deg F Thermostat but that is the only difference in that you reach the same Coolant Temperature at different rates of temperature increase. Kind of like using light weight pulleys to save HP which HP is only realized on acceleration as the rotational velocity of the pulley changes. Nothing is gained in a constant velocity (constant speed) situation.

My findings are simply that the stock water pump is a bit low on coolant flow rate at rpms under 2,000 rpm. As you can see there is a big jump in Coolant Pump Flow rate between 1,000 rpm and 2,000 rpm and it is in this area or engine RPM that the Coolant Flow Rate is not sufficient in HOT Climates.

The Coolant Pump Flow at 800 rpm is 15 gpm. The Coolant Pump actually gets more efficient as the rpm increases from idle to 2,000 rpm.

As Per Marc Haibeck graph provided to the ZR-1 Net email list by Graham Behan about ten years ago, the Coolant Pump flow rate is:
15 gpm at 800 rpm
18 gpm at 1,000 rpm,
44 gpm at 2,000 rpm,
65 gpm at 3,000 rpm,
90 gpm at 4.000 rpm,
120 gpm at 5,000 rpm at which time cavitation is starting.

1. The Dual Thermostat Bypass pressure is apparently 5 psi and block resistance at 100 gpm is approximately 20 psi. I am not sure what the radiator Head Loss is at various flow rates but definitely depends on the radiator type.
2. It would seem that the Coolant Pressure Relief Cap on top of the Coolant Reservoir in front of passenger side set at 15 psi would assure the radiator maximum pressure would be 15 psi plus the Bypass Pressure of 5 psi or 20 psi.

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-23-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote