View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007   #12
Jeffvette

Default Re: Carbon-fiber hood,and other ZR1 parts...soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40
Neat on the hood. How much does the stock one weigh?

I always kind of wondered how much weight could be saved with different body panels. It's too bad some of that stuff wasn't feasible when the Z came out. Imagine it with an aluminum chassis and CF body panels.

Would the plenum just be to save weight? I still think it's interesting that there are basically no alternative intakes for the LT5. I don't know if that's a compliment on the original design, or a result of the small market for LT5 stuff.
Small market, and the cost to duplicate is pretty high. Sheet metal intakes are roughly around 2,500 and up. if you remember kirchoffer had the sheetmetal intake that was a one off design. It's to costly to make, and plus the story is the power to be had wasn't any better than a full boogie regular intake. So the only car you will see that on is Billy K's.

The nose cap could lose a little weight going to CF. The rear bumper would almost be nothing as it is already pretty light. Same with the doors, they are light once all the guts are out.

The big pieces would be the hood and then the rear deck. That's where all the weight is in the body of a C4.

Then you start working on the motor:
Injector housings are 7lbs each (after porting)
Plenum is 18lbs after porting

These three pieces alone are 32 lbs. Compare that to a 4 lb intake manifold for a C5/6 car.