View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017   #21
edram454

Default Re: New member, former C5 Z06 owner, considering a ZR-1

well it is a interesting topic. I like both cars and owned both. still own one of them. at one time I owned both at the same time. performance wise, no contest. I had a modded zr1 pumping over 400 rwhp. I bought it because of the mods. the only thing it did not have were the heads ported. It had everything else, fidanza, siamese ported plenum and housing, long tube headers, ported throttle body etc.. on and on.... it did have stock gears. It pulled hard and long. the z06 makes 471 rwhp on dynojet. it flies. feels tight like a track car. very quiet as far as rattles but also has a corsa like my zr1 did. zr1 had a nastier sound probably because I kept the back window open to hear it even more. there is no race between them. easy victory for the z06. more power. less weight. same with handling. I still love the zr1 because of the history and its unique look. I do feel that they are not the best investment. People are scared of them because of the rarity of them. scarcity of parts etc... Unfortunately i do not live close to either corey or Mark and that puts me in lala land as far as this car. Nobody knows how to properly work on the lt5 in Florida and I dont want to experiment. I am not close to wazoo or the fbi guys...I am a guy far away from all those people. I have a club member friend who bought a mint 1992 zr1 with 5 k miles and he wont drive it because of fear it might break and he doesnt have a clue were to take it. a few local shops have told him no.

You live in texas so you are ok. the zr1 makes one feel tucked in because the seats are tight the the car has girth. I dont like the rattles of the zr1 from the 26 year old plastic pieces in the interior and the top and etc... the z06 is very tight. For me, I am happier with my z06. I am in the process of buying a lsx 102 intake and a 102 throttle body and expect my power output to increase by 20 horse with a natural aspirated car is not too bad. The stock zr1 makes around 330-340 rwhp stock. Some people find that adequate and some people find that very slow. I drove a stocker and obviously my modded and a friends modded zr1 and the difference is night and day. My buddies zr1 made 436 to the wheels with extensive head porting as well. I wish you the best with your zr1 selection. The one you have to please is yourself. This is just obviously a personal opinion which we are all entitled too.

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote