View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017   #23
5ABI VT

Default Re: New ZR1 owner experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
Thanks for that info George and sorry you had an issue . I was unaware of a ZF transmission having any issues and I was told they were bullet proof unless when speed shifting , the clutch must be completely depressed otherwise it could be damaged . I was told this by Marc Haibeck in BG last year and I am sure he would know all about the ZF trans .

I blew up my black tag ZF6 in 1998 in my 93 Lt1 car. It had 4.10 gears and I was using 6th a lot as 5th ran out of steam at around 250 km/hr. After a weekend of abuse the Monday driving up the 400 to Uni cruising in 6th gear for 5 minutes the trans literally seized and grenaded and felt like almost locked the tires at 120 km/hr. There was sufficient fluid in the trans, and the 6th gear synchro was white hot and failed. After talking to Bill at ZFdoc he said 6th and reverse share the same synchro and/or there is a lack of fluid circulation around those areas at speed and it is not ideal for load or wot for extended periods of time. Was one of the reasons I bought a brand new blue tag and had him modify it with everything he could to handle the 8k + rpms of the next stroker build in that car. 6th is so tall even with 4.10 gears you will be around 250-300mph at redline it is strictly designed as a fuel economy ratio. Check out individual ratios for 6th across all sports cars and youll see that chevy designed it this way to avoid gas guzzler tax etc.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote