View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017   #18
cbaclawski

Default Re: Make into Track Car, or sell along? advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
My opinion: No need for more than a four point harness for a track day car in a sedan where you are sitting upright.

The crotch straps are mainly for cars where the driver is laid back. It helps stabilize the lap belt (so it doesn't move upward in a front-end hit), and prevents the driver from sliding forward.

Six point belts are required in formula cars (to protect your nuts). If you wanted sub straps in the ZR-1, you could use 6-points (as opposed to 5), where the sub straps are anchored in the same place as the lap belts. So, a hole in the seat isn't needed. You're sitting on the sub straps rather than having them (or it) come up through the seat.

Regarding stock seats, I often get a bruise on my right thigh from the Corvette's power seat controls. A racing type seat really makes a big difference because you aren't holding on the steering wheel tightly to keep your upper body in place. It allows you to hold the wheel lightly.

Imagine you get into a tank-slapper situation where you're trying to catch a wild slide. Having a racing seat let's you focus more on the steering corrections than just holding on to stay in place.

Once you've driven on track in a racing seat it's hard to be comfortable in (most) stock seats.
I had an instructor last season whose real job was an emergency room surgeon. He was adamant that he would not ride in a car with a 4pt harness, on the track or otherwise..(though he was ok with stock 3pt)

My current track car has race seats and 5pt(actually 6, 2 sub straps that come though the bottom of the seat) and its amazing how much easier it is to drive when you're all tightly strapped in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
I want!
cbaclawski is offline   Reply With Quote