Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Headliner replacement for '91 #473

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss06c6 View Post
Using 3M adhesive. $23 from O'Reilly's.[ATTACH]

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Correct!

Just to emphasize, read the label carefully for application. The cans look the same, but one specifically says it is not to be used for headliners, and the other one (both by 3M) mentions specifically it is recommended FOR headliners!

(stay tuned...I'll post a picture here showing where to look for the info)

Also, (and I believe I read this on a 3M product), after the two contact surfaces become "tacky", by the time you apply the adhesive to one surface and move onto the other, the first surface may be too dry and the bond will fail...ask me how I know.

The "trick" is to spray a 3rd layer to one of the contact surfaces, and before it has a chance to dry to the "tacky" stage, press the surfaces together!

The wet(ish) 3rd layer will soften the layer(s) that became overly dry, and it will allow some minor fitting adjusting to the material after they come in contact together.

The headliner I got from Mid America looked nice and was easy to work with - slight elasticity helped get the wrinkles out and final fit looked flawless.

However, I didn't know about the 3rd application of the 3M adhesive, nor was I aware of the two kinds of 3M spray-on adhesive (one FOR headliners, and one NOT to be used for that purpose). After two summers, it started coming loose and had to be replaced.

The next two headliners I got from Robert DeMarco. I don't know if they came from Joann's Fabrics, but they were of substantially heavier material, and the foam backing was thicker than the MA material was.

Using the 3M headliner adhesive and the 3rd layer procedure, I reinstalled the liner in my 90 ZR-1, which has been in place for over a year and still looks new. And, I installed another one last summer on Ami's Z - which also looks incredible. Robert's source also does a fantastic embroidery of the ZR-1 splash and script across the inside of the liner. Very nice!

Paul.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote